Discuss Forest Fires in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I'm sitting here with a stonking headache, no, not booze related, I don't want to turn on the news, much too early in the day, stepdaughter and little babby will be here soon and I read this thread and all I can think of is that I don't understand, I REALLY don't understand what drives anyone to such mindlessness, violence, cruelty. What drives people do be sick cretins? And yes, they are the minority, luckily, always.

All the places I have travelled to I have encountered nothing but kindness and joy of life in ordinary human beings, when the news where full of horror stories about the countries there, Ireland, Egypt, Morocco... the only place I was seriously attacked in by a complete stranger was in London. I love Ireland because of the people I have met, same about the other places. The news do us all a disservice, making us sad and disheartened about the state of the world, never ever encouraging people to spread the many many good news that happen every day. We can't change bad people, bad news, but we can change how we think, what we do.

For now all each of us needs to get back to basics and know that it's another gorgeous sunny day to enjoy. :daisy:

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

Most of these fires in the Uk are in softwood plantations (Pine trees) these trees were planted in the 60's & 70's by the forestry commision for timber for the building and paper trade. Ancient woodlands and Heathland were destroyed to make way for these vast plantation. Now there is no market for this timber due to cheaper and better imported timber. These plantations have the trees planted so close to draw the trees up very quickly so there is no light on the ground so nothing else grows. So to me these fires in my view are the best thing to happen to the plantations, as the timber will never be harvested. Then the natural regeneration of ancient trees and plants will start to grow as the seed bank in the soil gets the light and the Pine trees will not grow. I know a few animals will get caught up in the fire and that is sad but wildlife will thrive much better in this enviroment. When i was involved with forestry we had some big sites burnt and now they look amazing with all of the different species of birds, butterflies etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

These are gorse fires we're talking about right now, Andrew, not forest fires? We're having some gorse fires just now not far from us, and it's not hot enough to be an act of nature, so the logical conclusion is...human stupidity, unless some sheep somwhere was a careless smoker.

The gorse of course was encouraged to feed the steam engines of the tin mines, that's when most of the killing off of great British forests began.

U

user123

I know we are talking about gorse, but gorse takes over aswell so a good burn gives everything else a chance to grow. Thats why you see people like the RSPB doing controled burns of Gorse, get rids of the old plants encouraging new grow. Let it burn!!!

Ah, I bow to your greater experience... actually up here it's the moors, heather, not gorse .. seems to happen every year, so not sure what the outcome of that would be.

I just thought, it's YOU, isn't it, it's YOU who's been wandering around with matches in your pocket!! :lol:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I live at reasonable altitude and have a great view.
But tonight i can see at least 5 big fires on various mountains within 20 miles from me.
Not nice for the animals and creatures who live up there or the people in the villages around as the smoke is so bad.
Some of these fires have been started deliberately the police have said.
BBC News - Gorse fires 'putting lives at risk' on the Mournes

Shocking stuff! Hope it is the two they've caught!

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Bad fire in Donegal too

Wildfires Continue To Rage In Donegal And Down - Irish Weather Online

Most of these fires are a freak of the recent weather, including the severe winter, which killed off a lot of the gorse. And the recent dry weather has made it tinder dry,
It saddens me that the acts of a tiny minority, are able to affect the views people have of Northern Ireland, most of whom have never set foot in this beautiful place

Reply to Forest Fires in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

E
Driving through my local village today my daughter asked me about 'Mad Jack Fuller' so here it...
Replies
Views
user123
U
T
There has been more major inventions came from the Scots than any other country in the World...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Forest Fires
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.