Discuss Former nett students in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stevejones81

I am going to train with Darren some time in the near future to hopefully change careers and start my own tiling business. I would like to hear from any of his former students who had no previous tiling experience and started a business soon after completing the course. How prepared we're you? How difficult was it to get up and running? What would you do differently if you could? Thanks to anyone who can help.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I had no previous tiling experience, and as good as the course was (you do learn a lot, and there is a lot of useful info), don't think you'll be starting up on your own straight after doing a week... The real world is much harder, with sooo many things to learn! I was lucky, and got in with a local bathroom/kitchen fitter. I'm still learning, 4 years later (it never stops lol!), but happy doing my own jobs as well now... If you get in with someone that tiles full time, you'll get there much quicker though.

Good luck with it though :thumbsup:

B

bugs183

I learnt on the job from my dad, but the advise i would give is be on top of your bookwork from day 1.
If you slip behind with invoices and paperwork it's a pain to catch up, file paperwork as soon as you can and it's all quite easy, but no.1 save your tax, put 20-25 of every invoice away in another account, that way you'll always be up to date with your tax. Have the money saved and it won't feel as painful, plus you should have a bit spare.
I always invested mine in the pub and once you slip behind it's a real pig to catchup.

D

Dale44

I did the two week tiling at nett, plus the plastering course. Had attended other courses in the past and would not have had a clue about self employment. But you will find that Darren teaches in a direct, full-on manner and you will be amazed at what you achieve. Aswell as learning loads about tiling, Darren will tell you all you need to know about running a self employed business, (tax, book keeping, insurance, advertising, business accounts and ways of finding work).
Good luck, hope all works out for you.

C

charlie1

Wonder what percentage doing the courses actually make a decent career out of it?

5 year ago (when i trained) i recon about 20% ... now id recon 2% , just look at all the cards in the shops that never ever get handed out, its quite sad really. Best of luck to anyone chasing there dream though!!

Just to add, if anyone can set you on your way to a new career then its Darren, hes a top guy, just dont be dissillusioned by any crazy earnings potential you may have read.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Former nett students in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Just revisited a lady I originally quoted to tile a bathroom for about 6 weeks ago. She decided...
Replies
Views
E
Hello all! I am new to this forum and thought I'd give some insight into who I am. I currently...
2 3
Replies
Views
ExplodingPudding
E
Mods feel free to move if im in the wrong place. Hey folks for a few years I've used this forum...
Replies
Views
Tiling Courses at The DIY School in Manchester enable men and women who have little or no...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB