Discuss free estimates or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

im still doing the initial site visit and estimate free but ive written into my T&Cs that I may at my discretion charge for further site visits, ordering materials . preparing detailed specifications and quotations and so on, ive also added another term that if job cancelled after they have signed the acceptance the full quoted amount will at my discretion become chargeable

no where else and in no other business would you supply your labour and expertise foc, in addition to that I do the job with no gaurantee of being paid on completion, my clients dont pay anything up front

having spent hours going through the consumer laws ive realised how vulnerable we are to being knocked for money and its our own fault for not covering ourselves with a proper contract

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi mike,i have thought about charging for estimates before but based on the fact that every other company doesnt charge for this then i thought this would be a no goer,

i have also had issues with people cancelling this year,to counteract this or to try to counteract this i go and quote as per normal...i dont mention a deposit at all at this stage i just quote on the job in hand trying not to put the customer off and once i get the job i then put in writing and also verbally explain i take a deposit upfront to put them in my books

every one so far has been fine with this and i think/hope it puts them off considering cancelling............put yourself in there shoes if you werent tied down financially to a job being done its very easy to just say no thanks and not care about the poor tradesman at the other end whereas if they have 200 pounds or so tied up in you they will not want to lose it

works fo rme so far

S

Scott

I would never charge for an estimate nor would i pay for one. I had a builders merchant pffer to quote for all my building materials and wanted £75 to give me a price, i told them to do one.

If you called your insurer and asked for a quote and they wanted £5 incase you didnt want to go with them you simply would go elsewhere, same in building trade i think.

As for doing the estimate and first visit free what would you need to go back for?

I doubt very much that you'd get away with getting the full amount back if you hadnt done the work, all you would have to do would become very unreasonable before starting the job and make them unsure about either you or your abilities. that way you could cream every job with a cancellation?

Last edited by a moderator:

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
mike with all due respect mate,what your thinking will not work,as scottley said after your first visit why would you need to go back?.

If you priced a job for me and than asked for a deposit once we had agreed a price then i would go with someone else,i don't know about the other guys here but there is no way i would pay a guy who hasnt even put a tile on the wall,its to easy for you to walk away with the deposit and not do the job,the client only has your word that you will do the job you say and if you dont trust them(by asking for a deposit)why would they trust you enough to pay you a deposit?.

Like i said in my earlier post ,i dont know if you just tile or you do full refits if its full refits then its reasonable to ask for some cash upfront for materials etc,but if your ordering stuff from your supplier then do you have to pay a deposit?.

Hi Mike

I do not and will not charge for quotes.

in my opinion:-

the site visit is your oportunity to sell your service and forge a relationship with a potential customer.

the time you spend with them and generating your quote are an investment in winning the job.

the site visit is also an oportunity to weigh up the client and make a judgement as to how much effort you should put in, or not.

i can generate a very detailed and accurate quote in half an hour so this is not an issue to me.

my quotes are acompanied by 2 copys of my terms and conditions, one to be returned signed and dated to secure a slot in my diary and the other to be retained for referance.

i take a 40% deposit 10 working days prior to starting.

95% of my jobs are full refurbs, on small in fill jobs up to about a grand i dont bother with a deposit.

It works for me

Reply to free estimates or not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Bedrock Tiles are proud to announce some seriously climate, complimenting news that we have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
free estimates or not
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.