UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Fuel Tanker Drivers' proposed strike action in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

I've just read the latest update in the press

Fuel Tanker Drivers' Leaders Reject Deal - Yahoo! News UK

Whilst I agree that everybody should receive a fair wage and decent terms and conditions of employment, I cannot help but think that the UK will be brought to its knees if strike action lasts for anymore than a few days.

I work for a chemicals manufacturing business, where we rely on lorries and trucks to bring in our raw materials and send out our finished products. Our major customers around the globe won't give a monkies that fuel tanker drivers are on strike in the UK and the reason the latest deliveries hasn't arrived is because the hauliers have run out of fuel. Plus I employ a chunk of people who commute over 12 miles to get to work each day. Not a problem when there is a viable supply of fuel from a range of outlets, but when those outlets run dry.....

I am intending on having a discussion with my MD tomorrow on business continuity planning to deal with a possible fuel shortage that may prevent people getting to work, may prevent our materials and products arriving and leaving, and will most probably see a cut into our profits as no doubt our hauliers will have to put their prices up when the cost of fuel goes up due to its scarcity.

What will you guys do, as business owners, sole-traders, partnerships, if you can't get fuel to get to a job? What about you guys who travel across the UK to undertake jobs? What will you do to make sure you're not left high and dry?

Times are hard, and I think they're going to get a whole lot harder.

I

Ian

I'm working fairly local for the next couple of weeks so I'm not too worried. So long as the media don't blow it out of proportion (yeah right!) everyone should just continue as normal. The people who cause the shortages are those who use about a tenners worth of fuel a week, but brim their tanks at the first mention of a strike, do they really think a fuel, strike will last 6 weeks??????

D

Deleted member 9966

Thing is, the majority of union members have already been balloted. The members are prepared to strike. If a deal isn't struck, the members will be waiting for their union leaders to advise when, not if, they're going to strike. I feel it's going to happen but I can't guage how long the strike will last for. London Underground workers strike regularly, but only for 1 or 2 days at a time.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I can't stand unions. They're middle-men where middle-men are not required. They make money out of CAUSING strikes and they love getting in the news about it as it increases their memberships therefore profits.

If they genuinely wanted the best for their members they would be charities and the unions would be made up of ONLY workforce and not 'consultants' or 'mediators' or whatever they class themselves as.

That aside I think everybody has taken a huge hit with the economy and to be frank we just had to too good pre-August 2008 with near to unlimited credit so I'm not surprised the country is on its backside and striking over pensions and pay deals won't fix the country.

£45,000 + they're on those tanker drivers are. They should sack the lot and let other people have their jobs.

Does my head in, teachers, firemen, tankers, whoever it is striking it never gets them their goals and only costs lives, education, wasted efforts, and the only ones winning are the unions who if they got their targets met would just move the goal posts so that they stayed in a job.

If my boss didn't pay me well, and /or I didn't like the terms of the job, I'd go find a better one. If I couldn't then surely the fact is, the offers isn't that bad at all?

Rant over. Sorry if I've offending anybody there.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
My mother in law is going nuts about the government moving the retirement age from whatever to whatever. She missed it by a week and now has to work years longer!!!

Just to rub it in a bit more, she is a twin, her twin is a bloke, and he still gets to retire when he was expecting!!!!

She should go on strike! - Not the blinking tanker drivers on a fair screw and with decent secure jobs, employed by one of the couple of biggest trillion dollar industries known to man, oil!

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Fuel Tanker Drivers' proposed strike action in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

R
Could you help young people learn skills for employment in construction? PT TUTOR to teach a...
Replies
Views
Rebecca Bowden
R
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
few pumps round our way are running dry due to peeps panic buying due to the looming fuel...
Replies
Views
Diamond Pool Finishers
D
Dear FairFuelUK Supporter We have a moment of opportunity to stop the massive 16p a gallon tax...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
E
I receive this i-mail for one job: Work Friday-Monday Eduardo, Work for tomorrow...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.