UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Gave me a laugh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
if you google this company they come up with a good looking website which explains about there business

it seems they own a showroom and also employ staff including trainees/apprentices

if this is the case its no wonder the price was different,there over heads will be completely different to a tradesman operating from home with a van only to run.

paints a different picture imo

What an interesting thread/debate. Over here that 900 quid equates to $1800 for a day!!!:yikes:
Imo you are on review from the moment you pick up the phone. If this guy quoted a family member and they unwittingly accepted the quote because they knew no better, right or wrong I wont apologise for breaking his legs:90:.
He and ourselves a supposed to be professionals and sometimes we have to accept that some people just dont have a clue. In these cases we are the only ones between them and getting ripped off, of what is probably a year or two of their life savings.
Just quoteing this absurd amount is tantamount to extortion when the client doesnt know any better.
Get more quotes you say, sure fair comment BUT some people just dont want too much bother or they are shy of strangers in their house. Especially the elderly. This guy would would rob them of what they have little of and that deserves the approprate feedback.
He may not be breaking any laws but morally he at least deserves a good hard slap. Just one. Open palm mind you.:mad2:

Somerset
Such an innocent anecdote from Pebbs certainly has stirred up some debate yesterday!

Now here's a thought for everyone. In the age of websites like "Trip Advisor" and "Ciao" we are all liable to have feedback about us, our business and our work posted on some traders website. The advice can be good or bad, provoked or unsolicited. It can even be a downright lie. Whats more - if you (as the trader) feel the comment was a distorted view or even a lie or (possible) fraud perpetrated by a competitor, you may find it a complete nightmare trying to get it removed, or providing a well thought out response that does not look like "an angry man angered" - of you know what I mean.

Anyone any experience of this or any suggestions about how to do with that?

only just read this post and i must admit i think it would be wrong to bad mouth this guy on a review site. It seems he gave an honest opinion on what he would want to do and how much it will cost.
I am good mates with a guy who runs his own company fiting wood burners/gas fires/ flues etc. I know for a fact the insurance is high due to the work being carried out on roofs or high buildings. Obviously 900quid a day is over the top but my guess is he didn't want the job, dont try and ruin his reputation for it. As for fitting the liner, ive actually priced up getting a wood burner at my own house and my mate said he would fit a liner here and i currently dont have one, its easier to maintain, improves effeciency of burner also.
I do think this shows that all customers should get 3 or 4 quotes for jobs at there house, i hate seeing a rubbish tiling job someone has done and the customer is gutted but as sad as i feel for them i do think they should do some research before employing a tiler/plumber etc. If a customer is going out to buy a new tv they always have a good look round to find the best one, most research what the best tv is even going into the spec etc. But when they get a tradesman in there house they just go for the cheapest!
Obviously not everyone is like that but with the internet today just a little research can go a long way to stop people getting ripped off.

U

user123

Such an innocent anecdote from Pebbs certainly has stirred up some debate yesterday!

Now here's a thought for everyone. In the age of websites like "Trip Advisor" and "Ciao" we are all liable to have feedback about us, our business and our work posted on some traders website. The advice can be good or bad, provoked or unsolicited. It can even be a downright lie. Whats more - if you (as the trader) feel the comment was a distorted view or even a lie or (possible) fraud perpetrated by a competitor, you may find it a complete nightmare trying to get it removed, or providing a well thought out response that does not look like "an angry man angered" - of you know what I mean.

Anyone any experience of this or any suggestions about how to do with that?

Such a good point there. I don' thave any BAD experience with it as such, but on one of my pages, I think it was linkedin, my first ever customer who was totally over the moon with his yinyang mosaic he had commissioned me, gave me 5/5 for both service and price, but 4/5 for quality, and I was gutted to be honest, as the quality to me is what I'm trying hardest to get right! I asked him what it would have taken for him to give me 5/5 and his answer? - He would have liked to give me 10 out of 5, but thought three 5s would look dodgy and his wife might get jealous! :incazzato: He thought the quality was exquisite, but I'd been so nice and the price so good that he couldn't reduce those scores either... oh blinking heck... it still irks me, seriously. Ok, remembering to breathe slowly...

J

jay

Such a good point there. I don' thave any BAD experience with it as such, but on one of my pages, I think it was linkedin, my first ever customer who was totally over the moon with his yinyang mosaic he had commissioned me, gave me 5/5 for both service and price, but 4/5 for quality, and I was gutted to be honest, as the quality to me is what I'm trying hardest to get right! I asked him what it would have taken for him to give me 5/5 and his answer? - He would have liked to give me 10 out of 5, but thought three 5s would look dodgy and his wife might get jealous! :incazzato: He thought the quality was exquisite, but I'd been so nice and the price so good that he couldn't reduce those scores either... oh blinking heck... it still irks me, seriously. Ok, remembering to breathe slowly...

Mght be beer o'clock time MG try to let it go :8:

T

tfs

I think we get this with all trades. I know that many of the guys who install these will multi trade themselves but some will sub contract parts of the job out. Perhaps this is why his price was so expensive?

I find it hard to believe that the guy said his personal (directly for himself) day rate was £900 in those words? If he did he must be a total plonker and have no business sense at all.

In terms of the review, I think a realy bad review based on pricing alone is a little unfair. If he was 100% trying to rip someone off then perhaps he got what was due.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Gave me a laugh in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Does make you wonder how kids are taught these days? And what? Hopefully won't be here when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.