Guest viewing is limited

Discuss glued 6mm plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nsko

Hi all sorry to be a pain again just spoke to the builder that is keen for me to do the tiling in the new build at the end of my road my problem as mentioned earlier is the 6mm plywood he has laid on the floor have just spoke to him and he tells me that the 6mm plywood has been glued to the 25mm chipboard and screwed every 200mm do i turn the job down still? have said happy to do the 25m2 of walls nor sure he wants 2 different tilers in for the job
floor area for bathroom 5m2 and 3m2 for en-suite

G

grumpygrouter

Tough call this one! If it hase been glued as well, what with? Best suggestion I can make is that you examine the ply very carefully and see if there is any movement at all between it and the chipboard. If it is solid and I mean solid!!! then you might get away with it. The areas concerned are not huge to be honest but if you are fairly new to the trade and this is a step in the door, maybe you should bite the bullet and go for it, but explain to the builder if he wants to use you on a long term basis then this type if prep is really not suitable. Personally, I would have preferred, if I had to, to go straight down onto the chipboard instead of an additional 6mm layer of flimsy ply! There are adhesives that will do a good job straight onto chipboard, but to me, 6mm ply however it is fixed is a worse option. Others may disagree with me though.:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

i would do the job if i could use mapei keraquick mixed with latex plus.:thumbsup:
The adhesive isn't the issue here I feel. I have seen floors where 6mm ply has been layed and fixed at 4" centres with a ring-nail gun. There was still movement between the nails nad the surface of the ply was actually "dimpled" where the nails were. Although Keraquick and Latexplus is highly flexible, it does not remove the voids between the ply and the chipboard......

D

Daz

If you really need the work why not give a quote thats resonable allowing a little extra for 6mm hardibacker and just replace it,

Floors of the size quoted should take less than a hour each to board out,That way you get the job, the builders happy and you can sleep easy knowing a job done well

Surely the timescale and cost will be dictated by how long it takes to rip up the ply and what damage is done to the chipboard?

T

TJ Smiler

Ply is terrible stuff at 6mm, i'd do it but i would point out to the builder that it's not good prep work and if any future probs occur that you will charge to repair etc. There is a flip side to this though cos once you point out it's not good prep work for tiles but you will do it anyway he could throw it back in your face in 6 months when/if you get any problems saying that you shouldn't have done it..... bit of a catch 22 really mate.

If your new to the game then i would strongly suggest you leave it alone or get him tyo re-do it properly.

TJ

Reply to glued 6mm plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All First post long storey short had arranged for someone to re model my bathroom on the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
glued 6mm plywood
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.