Discuss Going from BAL to Mapei in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Do you guys manage to use Mapei products without the use of scales (I can't be bothered to weight stuff out)? I've only used a Mapei grout once, and found it very hard to get the right consistency.. Very unforgiving, and worse than Bal for effloressence if you get it wrong. Like i said though, i've only used it once, so maybe just need a few more outings with it!?!

D

DHTiling

Do you guys manage to use Mapei products without the use of scales (I can't be bothered to weight stuff out)? I've only used a Mapei grout once, and found it very hard to get the right consistency.. Very unforgiving, and worse than Bal for effloressence if you get it wrong. Like i said though, i've only used it once, so maybe just need a few more outings with it!?!

Do you know how to recognise efflorescence..?

D

DHTiling

It is mainly the migration of salts....this builds up on th surface...the main cause of whitening or patchy grouts is user error...this ranges from too much wetting of the grout when washing off or incorrect mixing of the grout but saying that some grouts are more prone to patching than others even with the slightest over over wetting etc.

The amount of water at the mixing stage is crucial with grouts and getting this wrong can contribute...

So it can't always to put down to efflorescence..

A useful read for members wondering what efflorescence is.. What is Efflorescence.pdf (application/pdf Object)

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Interesting read Dave, cheers. ;)

I'm aware that the amount of water at the mixing stage is crucial, which is why i asked if you guys actually weigh/measure it out? Like i said, i've found the Mapei grout to be less forgiving, as i've mixed it to the same consistency that i use with Granfix grouts with no problems, and it's looked patchy/discoloured. I've heard similar things said about the BAL Anti-bacterial grout (can't remember the exact name), but haven't used that yet.
A friend of mine, who's been tiling for 20 odd years, said he's noticed it a lot lately with the new grouts.

Reply to Going from BAL to Mapei in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Going from BAL to Mapei
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks