Discuss gone bust! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

garretridge

in my local tile market in bangor today and they have an upstairs rented out to a local company called jupiter bathrooms. They have been trading only eight months they had asked me back then to come work full time for them when they opened i declined thankfully because they went belly up the adminastrators were in today. It sad to see but seems to be a regular occurance at the minute! :mad2:

D

Deleted member 1779

We stock our kits in over 80 shops and branches UK wide. At the moment we are losing shops and retailers due to bankruptcy at the rate of at least one a month. It took me a lot of hard work (4 years) to get each those retail outlets set up to move our kits so when we lose an outlet for our product thats little bit less revenue each month.

Of course I feel sorry for the retailers and it does have a direct impact on our supply. And this year we lost four tile training centres.

On our website we have a form that potential NEW retailers can fill in with some basic details like a contact number and a postcode for the branch. We used to get about seven or eight contacts per WEEK from that four years ago. So over a year that's 200 leads from tile shops and plumbing merchants interested in adding our product to their range.

This year we have had the grand total of 10 contacts....

But its not all doom and gloom. In a way I am grateful we have had ANY contacts. We continue to promote in magazines, online etc so once we climb out of the recession we should be in retailers minds.

These next few years will see the survival of the fittest. For example for us if push comes to shove I can scale down production and staff and sell these from my garage!! Not quite there yet but there are a lot of companies who have borrowed a lot of money and they are feeling the pinch big time.

Lets hope we are all at the bottom and about to climb up.

D

Deleted member 1779

We have all the point of sale equipment they could need !

Actually thats another annoying thing that the Point Of Sale equipment costs us £60 per branch and so of course when they go pop another display heads for the skip. It takes two or three repeat orders from a branch for us to cover the cost of the POS.

Maybe its time to start charging a set up fee.

whabs22.jpg

At £60 a time the POS equipment means somebody has to pay.
With bankrupcy now common is it time to insist for payment?

D

Deleted member 1779

I think you are right Kilty. We may have to ask for either a bigger order (at the moment its £250 per outlet) raise that to £500 OR charge a premium on the first order to cover the cost of the POS equipment.

Shame really because its sort of a "knock on" effect. Retailers will charge customers. Customers will charge clients. Etc Etc.

One thing that DOES excite us is that our biggest retailer (Corgi) have asked for box sets of certain sizes. So we may well expand from clam shells to boxes.

Point here being that in a difficult recession you have to think sideways. If a customer wants somethign that you dont normally provide - DO IT !

I can only hope that each and every one of us (Manufacturer - Retailer - End User - Client) can each do our bit.

Reply to gone bust! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Damn. Support local companies buy buying local. Bought a robust computer from local shop /...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
O
Hi, Almost three months ago, I went to look at a new wetroom for a customer. Customer said he...
Replies
Views
sdc395
S
Laticrete International is set to return to the UK Tile Adhesive market after nearly fifteen...
Replies
Views
hi all i would appreciate opinions on a job that i thought was going to be a nice bathroom to...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
M
I went and visited the Gemini factory in Torrance California last week. Finally got to meet...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
gone bust!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.