UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Good customers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

It's at times like these that I miss the U.K. culture when it comes to how customers react to tradesmen in their house. Here the day is always the same, irrespective of customer.

Start 7 a.m.
Breakfast 9 a.m. for 30 minutes, customer doesn't offer you anything.
11 a.m. coffee break for 30 minutes, good customer offers you coffee and a cake. else just drink your own coffee.
1 p.m. lunch break for 30 minutes, customer may invite you to sit at the kitchen table to eat your sandwiches, but you drink your own coffee! Oh no, you don't get TWO cups of coffee, not out of a Swedish customer!
4 p.m. finish work. (Optional to stay and work overtime).

Betweem those breaks the customer will never come and offer you a drink, or food, nor are you allowed to stop work to have a cup of coffee or anything. A gulp of water here and there does not result in the Polis being called, but if there is even a hint of thinking about grabbing a sandwich then they'll be dialling 112 before you know what's happened.

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Hard to beat a bit of hospitality. I find that you're usually well looked after in a modest house/area but once you start working for millionairres, you're lucky to get a "Good Morning".
that is not true, 90% of my work is for millionaires, and most of them realy nice people, polite, some of them throwing party after job is compleeted.

T

Time's Ran Out

It's at times like these that I miss the U.K. culture when it comes to how customers react to tradesmen in their house. Here the day is always the same, irrespective of customer.

Start 7 a.m.
Breakfast 9 a.m. for 30 minutes, customer doesn't offer you anything.
11 a.m. coffee break for 30 minutes, good customer offers you coffee and a cake. else just drink your own coffee.
1 p.m. lunch break for 30 minutes, customer may invite you to sit at the kitchen table to eat your sandwiches, but you drink your own coffee! Oh no, you don't get TWO cups of coffee, not out of a Swedish customer!
4 p.m. finish work. (Optional to stay and work overtime).

Betweem those breaks the customer will never come and offer you a drink, or food, nor are you allowed to stop work to have a cup of coffee or anything. A gulp of water here and there does not result in the Polis being called, but if there is even a hint of thinking about grabbing a sandwich then they'll be dialling 112 before you know what's happened.

Mike - over here dialling 112 will put you on a sex line! (so I've been told) and it can't be that bad if you get one and half hours to eat and drink. I'am lucky if I get to smell the hot coffee when I stand next to the skip in 3feet of snow (I can sense a Monty Python moment coming on!)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Never been offered custard :(

doubt he has been offered a bowl of custard,i think he either means a custard pie or biscuit,mind you,if i was offered a bowl of custard i would jusmp at it,i just love custard,but i hate custard creams,horrid biscuits.

last job i was on,she made me my dinner every day,and brews every hour,a great job to be on but i was up all night from the coffee and going the blinking loo

F

FreeD

I've had some good..one doctor...malteser cakes first day, carrot cake next day etc etc different cake each day for a week. Another doctor had £75 tip and good quality bottle of champagne. I've been offered booze on the job as well but have always turned it down, remember when I was working for the pink pound nice lesbian couple, one of them was quite fit, they asked me to join them for a few glasses of wine...thought I might not be able to hold back so kindly turned them down ;)

F

Fliselege

One thing I miss about England, you can hardly get in a customers door without being given a brew first, and it usually keeps coming. The Norwegians wouldn't wee on you if you were on fire. The rare occasion we get offered a drink we ask the customer if they're really Norwegian as we never get offered anything. But we had one who had a coffee machine with loads of choices, he'd leave us 2 cups out with a ferrero rocher by each cup and we got a pack of beer at the end of the job, people like him gives me hope!

Reply to Good customers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
R
hi there I'm not a tiler but my partner is (24 years in the trade). My partner has recently...
Replies
Views
D
The guys at Hansgrohe have made life great for clients but difficult for installers. There is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
J
First solo job this week...:smilewinkgrin: It's a small kitchen extension (6m2) that the...
Replies
Views
jlondon
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.