Discuss good hearted builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I went to price up a 65m2 floor last friday when a private customer got my number through a recommendation from the tile supplier and arrived on site to by met by the builder, he was in the process of laying a floating chipboard floor over ufh in the extension and told me he intended to prepare the tiled area in the same manner ,I suggested he needed to rethink the prep work and put a minimum of 65mm of screed over the ufh if he wanted the tiling job to last longer just a few weeks ,I went over how I thought the floor should be prepared and asked him to call the supplier of the ufh system and the tile supplier to confirm what I was telling him was correct after giving him a very competitive price for the floor tiling he asked me to look at the bathrooms which were in the loft with loads of beams and angled ceiling with several tile sizes to consider and a wet room shower floor ,he asked me how much I would do the bathrooms for and I told him I would send him a price over for the floor and the bathrooms,
I got a call from him to today and he said" Gary thanks for the price ,I am going to tile the floor myself and I will get one of my lads to have a go at the bathroom but can you do the shower room " I didnt know whether to laugh or cry he has decided that the shower room is far too awkward for him and his blokes to tackle and wants to get me to do it while they do the easy stuff ,I know there is a recession on but I feel like telling him to go west and do the awkward shower room himself especially when he asked me to give him the same meterage rate that I quoted for the kitchen floor :yikes:

R

Rob Z

UFB.... More than once, I have spent time with a prospective homeowner customer, or a GC, detailing the steps needed for a quality installation, only later get a variation of the call that Gary got: "Hey Rob, it sounds pretty simple once you explained everything....we'll tackle it ourselves"....followed up with "Do you think you could stop by for a minute to make sure all the prep work is done correctly?" I'm not making this part up

And one time, just to take the award for having the brassiest pair, I had one of these numbnuts call and try to give me grief because their guy messed up what I had said I would do. They thought I was in some way responsible.

sounds like a clever sod without a clue about how to prep a job or any common sense when dealing with a pro tradesman. Even with a decent price the job is sure to be a total mare. I've had "the builders lads" doing jobs on site at the same time as me and am heartily sick of them watching, commenting and brain picking let alone the shambles of a job they do. Unless you will be in the poorhouse as a result you should tell him all or nothing as Daz said. Cheeky buggers, probably priced it wrongly and trying to save a few quid without any thought as to the quality of the job.

Reply to good hearted builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
good hearted builder
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.