Discuss Granite Edges - Advice Needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dannywill

Hi all,

As the title says I'm after some advice.

I am not a tiler, I am a homeowner and have had a tiler fix me granite tiles in my bathroom.

I asked him to finish the extrernal corners by simply butting one tile to the other (no trims)

Which he has done, and I am happy with.

But now I need some way to finish the unpolished edges (These aren't cut edges, they are just unpolished)

I realise the proper way to do the job is polishing the stone with an angle grinder using finer and finer abbresive discs.

This seems like it will be really hard work, and require a fair bit of skill to get a good finish.

The only other suggestion I have had is to rub the edges down with vegetable oil.
I have tried this on a scrap piece and it works - The tile is darkened and almost matched the polished face. BUT surely over time the vegetable oil will become rancid?

Anybody know of a product I can use to blacken the edges that will stand the test of time?

I havn't sealed the tiles yet so will do this after the edges are sorted.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

Dan.

D

dannywill

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I want to avoid polishing the tiles if poss, I don't want to make a mess of it.
All of the edges are uncut, straight from the factory so darkening will be fine.

Enrich and seal sounds like the stuff then - I take it from your comment it's no longer made?

The tiler said from the beginning he would be leaving them unfinished. I don't think he had done this sort of job before.

Reply to Granite Edges - Advice Needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Granite Edges - Advice Needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.