UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss grinding terracotta tiles to even surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Blarney stone

If you grind them you will take off the crust as such and will give the a different texture and make them more porous not something i would adv is this something you have inherited ? :pete
They're not really made with a crust. Not like a faced tile. they're like a brick all the way through. If they have a face like a quarry tile or a glaze then yeah don't grind but terracotta is generally all the same the whole way like a flat brick or a porous jug ... They're also designed to be porous so they you could use them to cool the kitchen in times when we didn't have a fridge.:) and most likely the finish has already worn off at this stage through wear and tear so grinding won't be worse. If they were perfect obviously don't grind them. But if they're already pitted grinding will make them better. They were also designed to be hand ground with sand ever year by a housewife. So they can take a grinding. And they look nice as they grind down over time by wear and scrubbing. They need to be sealed though with a breathable sealant and if you want to use beeswax you can but that needs to be removed and redone every now and then.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to grinding terracotta tiles to even surface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
D
I am installing 6x24" (152mm x 610mm) wood look porcelain tile in an approx 200 sq. ft. (6096mm)...
Replies
Views
DIYish
D
Some info you pro tilers might find useful... TTA urges extra care on tiling with mesh-backed...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.