Guest viewing is limited

Discuss grout left on limestone tiles -- can I sand them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

afitzger

I have limestone tiles in the bathroom, which have been up for a couple of years. The builders didn't seal before grouting, and didn't do a very good job of cleaning off the grout, so there are whitish marks around the grout lines, where the grout residue remains, and a few fine surface cracks. I've tried a few residue removers and cleaners, but no luck. The local tile store thought it would be possible to sand them down (they are honed limestone) and then reseal them. Does anyone have any experience of this? Would they have to be wet sanded? Or is there some kind of special abrasive powder or something? Please help! thank you.

A

afitzger

It probably can be sanded but pics would help! You need to be careful though when wet sanding it as the machine can dig in and that could cause bigger problems as it may be very soft. You could consider a rotary brush and or pad depoending on the M2 and some honing powder.

tel
Thank you! do you mean a wire rotary brush, like you can put on a drill? where could I get honing powder? I will try to post some pics. Thanks again. anne

N

NuTech Stone

I agree with Dave. This is not a DIY fix. Enduro is right about the diamonds or a honing compound. Limestone is very soft and should not be just sanded unless you are prepared to totally dull it down. Most honed stones have a luster that you will lose if you sand. Also chemical that remove grout should not be used on natural stone unless they are acid free. I would suggest a professional for this one.

T

terrygrant

Most good quality grouts now have polymers in them and I have found in the past that using lithofin stain away will soften the polymers enought to be able to remove the grout. Stain Away is a Dichloromethane based chemical and not acidic so it wont harm the stone but it will destroy any sealer so you would have to reseal the stone on completion. You should also observe the saftey instructions and use in a well ventilated area with a suitable mask and wear gloves and dont get in in your eyes! Get some before the EU ban it on health and saftey grounds (Dichloromethane is no longer used in the dry cleaning industry!)

Regards

Terry the Tiler

Reply to grout left on limestone tiles -- can I sand them? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello everyone, I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
We inherited split face tiles on a feature wall in our ensuite. In my naivety over the last few...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
grout left on limestone tiles -- can I sand them?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.