UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Grouting advice needed for small glass mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

budbecks

Hi all.

I have a problem with some small mosaic glass tiles. The glass mosaics are 8mm thick and are small 15mm x 15mm. I have tiled a bath base and complete shower with them. I have also tiled the entire bathroom including floor with 300mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. The customer brought all the materials through the local building merchants and so they supplied the correct grout and flex adhesive etc.

The trouble i have is the grout they supplied is BAL wide joint 2 - 12mm grout. All of the joints are 2.5mm and the mosaics are 1-2mm obviously. I have managed to grout all the large porcelain tiles but the mosaics are going to be a pain in the neck using wide grout. I find it horrible to use and very sharp and very gritty. I've used it before of wide grouting and its great but rubbish for mosaics.

The customer will probably only use BAL as that what the manufacturer recommends but is there a better grout for mosaics.

I need to grout about 9m2 of 15mm x 15mm x 8mm glass mosaics. How much/many kilos of grout would i need to complete the job.

If any one can help i would be very grateful and would save a lot of swearing :)

Thanks in advance

BB

B

budbecks

I went to nearest topps to see what they had.

The colour is charcoal so i'm limited as to sourcing it as i need it by Friday.

They had 2 different types which i think were microflex or superflex ? which had charcoal in 3kg bags at £11.50

The other was the new version with microban in it, more hygienic i think. but that was in ebony but in bigger 5kg bags at £15

what i have already done is charcoal in colour so i guess id have to stay with charcoal as i nor them seemed to know how much different the 2 shades are.

How many bags do you think i would need ? i know this is a hard question but they dont give coverage for mosaics on the bag and i know they take quite a bit.

Thanks for the inputs guys

K

keith1960

Hi all.

I have a problem with some small mosaic glass tiles. The glass mosaics are 8mm thick and are small 15mm x 15mm. I have tiled a bath base and complete shower with them. I have also tiled the entire bathroom including floor with 300mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. The customer brought all the materials through the local building merchants and so they supplied the correct grout and flex adhesive etc.

The trouble i have is the grout they supplied is BAL wide joint 2 - 12mm grout. All of the joints are 2.5mm and the mosaics are 1-2mm obviously. I have managed to grout all the large porcelain tiles but the mosaics are going to be a pain in the neck using wide grout. I find it horrible to use and very sharp and very gritty. I've used it before of wide grouting and its great but rubbish for mosaics.

The customer will probably only use BAL as that what the manufacturer recommends but is there a better grout for mosaics.

I need to grout about 9m2 of 15mm x 15mm x 8mm glass mosaics. How much/many kilos of grout would i need to complete the job.

If any one can help i would be very grateful and would save a lot of swearing :)

Thanks in advance

BB
I have just grouted glass mosaic with microflex, all good apart from the residue on the tiles, can i use LTP grimex or LTp grout stain remover, and are mapie adhesives and grouts better than bal, everybody seems to sell Mapei now, my tile warehouse only sell Bal, where you can buy mapei at BQ if you run short

B

budbecks

Well what an experience !!

All i could get is superflex in 3.5kg bags. So i brought 3 bags. Then another 3 bags and was still short so had to get another. I needed 7 bags in total a £11.50 a bag £80 in grout for 9m2 of mosaics !!

Must admit is does look nice and there no way i could have done it with the wide joint they supplied.

The mosaics had polished stainless steel as well dotted around. In total there must be getting on 3000 polished stainless steel 15mm x 15mm mosaics and everyone has a protective sticker on so the grout doesn't scratch it !!

I've had to take some off to fit the shower screen and silicone the corners etc and it takes forever. It'll give them something to do mind !!

Im guessing hot water would aid removal but haven't tried.

Charcoal grout is pretty good stuff as well. get absolutely everywhere. I've only ever grouted floors black not walls or mosaics wow black everywhere.

Anyway after i finally grouted and siliconed all up it does look pretty good and im happy with the end result. I think they were too... i hope :)

I'll post some pictures when the plumbers put the sanitary ware in and electricians done his bit.

F

Futuregrout

Hmm. Wish I'd seen this thread last week. I ordered some glass mosaics, and took the supplier's advice and ordered BAL superflex. The tiles are for the kitchen. The datasheet for superflex suggests that it is entirely unsuitable.

I've not grouted yet. Should I go and get myself some microflex? I am grouting tomorrow, so will have to go to topps where it is £17 for a 3.5kg bag of white (or £23 for a 3.5kg bag of ivory?!).

Thoughts?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouting advice needed for small glass mosaics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.