Discuss Grouting Gun in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Anyone used one, and if so? How did you get on?

Job at the moment........limestone, 900x600, 600x600 & 600x300. Supposedly calibrated to 20mm (NOT)
Grout joints ranging from 2-3mm-to all over the place.

Picked up a grout gun today, not used one before.

This is going to cost a fortune in grout...........wot about a dry mix of flexi addy, say 10mm depth, then top off with grout. Just a thought, never have before, but why not?

Discuss??

S

Spare Tool

Tried a grout gun once, to be fair was a travertine kitchen splashy not a floor, customer didn't want the holes filling, had more grout running down my arm than in groutlines...binned it off in first 5 minutes. Done black grout up against a stone fireplace and used an icing bag which is same principle, that worked well, couldn't imagine doing a large floor with it though, you could probably grout ten metres in the time it takes to fill and mess about unclogging the nozzle :)

S

SJPurdy

Anyone used one, and if so? How did you get on?

This is going to cost a fortune in grout...........wot about a dry mix of flexi addy, say 10mm depth, then top off with grout. Just a thought, never have before, but why not?

Discuss??
ok post a few days old now but I only just got to it!
"why not" well why would you? (and why has no one else commented?). Most instructions are to clean out joints to full depth of tile before grouting (ok so we all accept that some addy has been pushed up into the bottom of the joints by a few mm, as the tiles are pressed down into it). If there is a lot of dry powder (adhesive or other debris) in the joint and you grout over it then firstly the stuff will mix into the grout as the grout is pushed along the joints! and even if you could do it without mixing the moisture in the bottom of the grout would be drawn down into the powder, probably at different rates along the joints resulting in some suspect setting (strength) of the grout and probably different colouration of the grout. It would also take longer; process one half fill joints with powder and two very carefully grout instead of 'just grout'.

They are difficult joints to grout being narrow and deep so you need one that flows well, to fully fill joints, when mixed at the correct consistency and applied using a grout float. They are large tiles and so there is not really that much joint line to grout/m2 and surely the cost of the grout has been factored into the price for the job anyway!

On the subject of the grout gun then the only time I would use one would be around highly profiled wall border; where it is difficult to use a float and difficult to clean off any excess grout.

I

Italy

ok post a few days old now but I only just got to it!
"why not" well why would you? (and why has no one else commented?). Most instructions are to clean out joints to full depth of tile before grouting (ok so we all accept that some addy has been pushed up into the bottom of the joints by a few mm, as the tiles are pressed down into it). If there is a lot of dry powder (adhesive or other debris) in the joint and you grout over it then firstly the stuff will mix into the grout as the grout is pushed along the joints! and even if you could do it without mixing the moisture in the bottom of the grout would be drawn down into the powder, probably at different rates along the joints resulting in some suspect setting (strength) of the grout and probably different colouration of the grout. It would also take longer; process one half fill joints with powder and two very carefully grout instead of 'just grout'.

They are difficult joints to grout being narrow and deep so you need one that flows well, to fully fill joints, when mixed at the correct consistency and applied using a grout float. They are large tiles and so there is not really that much joint line to grout/m2 and surely the cost of the grout has been factored into the price for the job anyway!

On the subject of the grout gun then the only time I would use one would be around highly profiled wall border; where it is difficult to use a float and difficult to clean off any excess grout.
same, the same.
difficult for me to do all this talk.
It was what I wanted to say.
thanks @SJPurdy ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouting Gun in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Sorry it’s a long one as looking for some advice please. We have had 50sqm of 600x600 porcelain...
Replies
Views
J
Hi First post on here but I have taken a lot of advice on here in the past. I am having a...
Replies
Views
A
    • Informative
Hi All, I will be laying 9m2 of 600x300 rectified polished porcelain tiles in my bathroom. It...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
Hi guys, Last time I posted here I was having a first attempt at tiling the walls in a shower...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB