Discuss Grouting mosaic sheets prior to installation? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

mg would you grout a mosaic ceramic tile before grouting?? i wouldnt

Straightforward mosaic tiles on nice flat walls, no, because careful use of the trowel does the job nicely in my opinion, but many mosaic artists do, mostly, again just my opinion, because that is an accepted way of doing things and they didn't learn how to tile and don't kow how to spread adhesive properly, which makes a big difference - to my mind with artistic mosaics with different thickness glass etc, backg grouting is really useful, it gives you a hand, keeping things just that little more stable, I have used this approach on really small pieces and was always glad I did, you have to have a light touch with it though, and I do have my little trade secrets, too.. :)

A

Alberta Stone

Sounds like another old school method that has been made obsolete.
The tiles would have to be absolutely perfect on the mesh and you don't find many of those around so adjustment would be impossible.
Sometimes the surface being tiled is imperfect and grout lines need to be spread a touch and that would be impossible as well.
For custom pieces it is a good technique to master, but for standard mosaic it seems unusual, if not impractical.

A

astute1

For dave ramsen,

Yep, the litokol starlite epoxy is rated as an adhesive as well, has I said great for glass tiles as the grout color is through the entire installation. You know that situation when you can see through glass face of the tile to the bevelled sides. If you use a normal, say , white adhesive you can often see the adhesive in that bevelled edge. This no longer occurs as the entire bed and grout is the same what ever color, what ever color grout you are working with.

Reply to Grouting mosaic sheets prior to installation? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello - any advice welcome. My tiler laid our mosaic floor sheets incorrectly so the pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First time poster and tiler here. Hoping to get a bit of advice on tiling a wet room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grouting mosaic sheets prior to installation?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks