UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss grouting nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mnemonix

Hi folks, I hope you can help me as I've spent the last 3 months digging out and replacing my kitchen floor with an insulated concrete slab, dpm and tiling it, all myself, only to fall at the last hurdle... grouting.

I'm using these tiles which Wickes claim to be porcelain. I've laid them using BAL rapidset and am attempting to grout them using BAL Superflex Wide Joint GREY powdered grout, which I'm mixing up using a scale to get the proportions spot on, so here's the crack:

1. It's seriously runny. No need to 'push' into the joints, it just runs in to them. Is this right? I've done two test areas so far with the same results.
2. The tiles have a matt, slightly grainy finish which seems to catch and grab on to the grout so I can't get them very clean with the grout float.
3. It's taking an age to set... I can't sponge them after 10 or 15 minutes. I waited over an hour to sponge them for the first time and it was still just smearing more grout over the tiles. I don't want to overwork or over-wet the grout (this pulls the latex or polymers up to the surface yes?), nor pull it all out of the joints so after a second unsatisfactory sponge an hour later I just had to leave it.
4. 24 hours later, it's set but looking a bit light in colour to me; first though, I have to clean the tiles. Water's not shifting it, so I'm using Fila grout residue remove at 1:10 which seems to clean the tiles ok but my grey grout now seems even lighter and a bit patchy now too...

All I want is a nice mid grey grout between my tiles... Can anyone please help me?!?! I'm running out of test areas, and have read that darker grouts are difficult to work with, though I'm not sure I should need one anyway; the stuff just doesn't seem to behave as it says on the bag or as I've read in this and other forums!

Cheers.

M

mnemonix

Some pictures, as I know how much you love them:

IMG_2103.jpg IMG_2104.jpg IMG_2106.jpg

First one after removing excess with the grout float. It realy clings to the tiles.
Next, after a second sponge down nearly two hours later - one wipe with a spotlessly clean sponge is enough to smear it (i'm using two buckets etc)
Third, next day, cleaned the tiles, but should the grout be this light? it's patchy too, though the photo's too small to show it.

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
The consistency of a Mr Whippy ice cream.....or maybe even thicker. Mix enough so it doesn't slump or pour off your float. You should be able to do a small area at a time, then with a well rung sponge........sponge off, and move on to the next area.

You could try a temporary tile sealer, such as Bal temp sealer, but to be honest, if you get the mix right, you shouldn't need to.

When giving final wash, change the water often. Then let dry, and polish off with dry cloth.

M

mnemonix

The grout float's not a Marshall Town no, just a generic float of the kind sold in Topps, Wickes etc.
I'm using hand sponges, again, sold in Topps etc but not just an old washing up sponge at least!

I do appreciate the value of good tools, but as I'm not a pro, also appreciate that the 'correct' if not the 'very best' tools should do a perfectly reasonable job if used properly! I've used good adhesive and grout and you wouldn't believe how many threads and posts I've read here for research before starting!

M

mnemonix

Ok, thanks for the consistency guide CJ, it certainly is much runnier than that. Is it possible my grout is out of date or defective then, as I'm following the instructions precisely and it's nowhere near that consistency.

I'd already applied a stain protector to the tiles actually! Trust me I'm being meticulous with the buckets of clean water, washing the sponge in one, rinsing in the second, wringing out thoroughly.

Is it the wetness that's making the grout so light? maybe I've underestimated how light the standard grey grout is, but it looks luminous between the tiles and the patchy appearence suggests it's not right to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mnemonix

Bal superflex is a good grout to use...............just don't grout tooo big an area at a time. If left tooo long it can be a nightmare to clean off. About 15/0 mins then clean.

"Simples"

Well that's what I'd read too, so when I can't sponge it 2 hours later without smearing it you know it wasn't exactly going to plan over here!
Then it's not so simples...

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
The luminous area is i bet, in the area you have done which was tooo wet. If a small area?, rake it out, and try and do the whole floor in one hit, I dont mean grout the whole area, then wash.......but grout in small patches then wash......then move on to next section.

Chance are the area you have done...........will rack out fairly easily as it was toooo wet.

Last edited:
M

mnemonix

Two test areas so far, same runny grout in both and both very light. The difference was that I over sponged the first one while it was wet, which I thought might be why it went so light. The next one I bought some grout residue remover so I could leave it messy and avoid over sponging it, then clean up the next day. It may be slightly darker than the first, but there's not much in it, and it's had a day less to dry out too.

If over wet grout causes it to dry too light then that would explain both patches, but as I said, I did follow the instructions on the bag. Both times.

Kendo, point taken, but it's not humid this time of year, and definitely not in my house - very average conditions, which wouldn't explain why the consistency should be so far out using the suggested amounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mnemonix

I went out for a bit of advice too. Topps said "ignore the instructions, they're never right, just mix it thicker" (BAL don't know their own product?). Tile Giant said "sounds odd to us and it should still be setting up after a couple of hours even if it's too wet" I told them my kitchen was about 10 degrees C and they said, it'll slow it down slightly, but not by that much.

So I've mixed it by feel, much thicker - like mortar for bricklaying, and put some down. An hour later and it hasn't set, it still smears with the sponge and I have no hope it'll dry any darker once it's set by tomorrow.

I'm sure BAL has a great reputation, but nothing else I've tackled in the last 3 months building work has behaved so differently from all expectations, advice and guidance on the packet - and no disresepct, this isn't rocket science as others have already pointed out. All I can do at this point is try another brand because I'm just banging my head against the wall here now.

S

Stef

We have used Superflex for years & never ever have had a problem.

I dont mix it to the ratio stated on the bag, i know by look & feel if its right or not, i cant even guess the ratio i use.

I prefer using Bal for this reason as you need to be bang on with using say a Mapei grout.

As already stated, mix it so it doesnt fall off your float, When sponging just wipe once (twice most) & leave it or you will add too much water to the grout & it will shrink in the joint.

Reply to grouting nightmare in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.