Guest viewing is limited

Discuss grouting problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lee.chris80

im a beginner whos just tiled my bathroom but the grout is starting to have small cracks in it in 1 or 2 places, not all over!
i primed 6mm ply underneath
no more nails and screwed it down at 300 centres
then layed the tiles on unibond advance floor adhesive
waited 24hrs then grouted up with unibond quick set
sponged off and it looked perfect
until the following day when the tiny crumbling appeared. i should of used both flex adhesive and grout , is this why its cracking. any advice anyone?
cheers

E

easyt

Maybe put it down to experience and redo. Just a thought but I tiled a bathroom upstairs in previous house. Took up boards and laid 18mm ply but left an area under a vanity unit uncovered. This meant if I removed kicker and base shelf I could access electric cables and pull through if necessary. I also relocated a junction box to that area. I replace some wiring to a kitchen light beneath the boarding to provide sufficient slack to pull down if necessary. You might be advised, if you redo, to look at what is under those floorboards in case you require access.

Easy T

I'm no expert but I think if I was overlaying with thinner board I would have screwed down.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

hi there faithhealer, i c ur from sedgy, im only over kelloe, hows the little place goin ova there?. if the grouting continues to crack i might give the hardi-backer a go, dont wanna rip up floor boarding.

I am near you as well..N'aycliffe..

6mm ply is not stable enough to tile too.. and probs the adhesive /grout might be an issue as well..

Maybe John or i could point you towards getting the proper gear at a good price.

Reply to grouting problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
P
As a newbie to a Wet Room I have just inherited I am hoping you can help me. I have a 2/3 Bar...
Replies
Views
plug_it_in
P
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views
B
Hi all. I have a problem with some small mosaic glass tiles. The glass mosaics are 8mm thick...
Replies
Views
Dave H
D
A
Hi all Am new to this, just had my en-suite ripped out and replaced, tiles are floor to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
grouting problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.