UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss hacked off with battens in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fekin

For a full bathroom I always batten 2 walls first going on a right angle, keeping a spirit level on the first so I know it's level.
Then line up by eye the second batton, stick it, get the spirit level on it and the other batton across the corner and get it level and that's it, 2 battons across 2 walls on a 90 degree both level to eachother, then as you go onto the 3rd wall do the same, and in my view you can't go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonian Tiling

Geordie,

Make a datum line approx half height of your room and use this as the central
point to refer to on marking out your room, taking in windows,doors,baths etc
ensuring full or as full a cut as possible when meeting each feature.

Based on you have all marked out correctly, tile fom your datum line down
to the floor, take this all around your room, be easier to identify/correct any
issues on your tiles matching up. Once done the rest should just fall into place.

Unless large format tiles stick to a high grab(supergrip) adhesive.

Then take your battens attach a piece of chain inbetween them and
give your know it all joiner some bruce lee nunchaka action to
his big mouth...... you will have no more problems with him im sure....
icon10.gif

Caledonian.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Stick a level datum line around the room at any possible height where it's most constant, so not in the way of any boxing in and windows if possible, then when you find your starting point after working out the best looking cuts you can use a tape measure to measure down from your datum line around the room to stick on your battens. I used to just batten one wall at a time too, although I don't know if that would help, it was just easier to do and used less wood.

Tip: Spin the level around each time you draw a line down the length of it to counter-balance any few mm it's out. A level that is 2mm out will be 20mm out once you've used it 10 times. Spinning it each time you use it can only give you 2mm or less inaccuracy.

F

Fred

I put up my first batten on wall 1, leaving enough room at the end of the batten and wall to slot the next batten on the next wall into.

Tile wall 1. Then, as above, slot batten 2 on wall 2 and up under the tile on wall 1. Level batten 2 and nail in place, again, leaving enough room at the next end for batten 3 etc.........

Perfect levelled and fit together tiles in the corners every time.

W

White Room

The classic mistake that gets you about 50mm out is to transfer a line from the top of the level to the bottom when transfering a point across a room........I only did it once over 20 years ago.....It made me a lot more sympathetic to the two tilers I have seen make the same mistake since :)

Terry

Nearly done the other day.....thats why I like lasers.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Another spirit level issue that catches loads out is to keep the level in your hand and keep sliding it around the room length by length and then find the lines are out by 20mm because the level is 1mm out and they slid it 20 times to get around the room.

You should always flip a level each time you do a length and then you can only ever be out by the amount the level is out (which is often less than 1mm to be fair) and only 50% of the time as the other time it's bang on as the level is back around the other way.

If that makes any sense at all.

Reply to hacked off with battens in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

K
Hello I thought i would stop by and introduce my self as I have a feeling im going to be...
Replies
Views
F
Hi, DIYer here and trying to work out my best solution for tiling around a drop in tub with an...
Replies
Views
O
Hi,I would appreciate any help confirming the final steps for my wet room project, please (see...
Replies
Views
ojtiler
O
G
At what point do you say no to doing a job ? My problem here is this, I get called in to quote a...
Replies
Views
S
hi guys a said previously a was going to post a weekly diary,what college are teaching,not much...
Replies
Views
suave
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.