UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hall and cloakroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Cuts were done on my Qep bridgesaw. The day before, I rang Qep up to find if they did a kick *** blade for it and they did - called the ultimate. The standard blade would have meant smoothing each cut edge which I wanted to avoid (incidentally I use a diamond file for that - much better than a rubbing block)
My local Topps didn't know it existed but I had the ref# and they found a store that had a couple instock and I picked it up the next day.

The cuts are perfect with this blade - hard to distinguish the rectified edge from the cut edge - this blade was one of my birthday presents, how sad!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
:hurray: Finished!
Ball ache is such an understatement but can't wait to grout:
IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Nearly 2 years on I get a call out of the blue from this customer. His washing machine finally packed up in the kitchen
but not before leaking water overnight, on removal it was obvious it had been leaking for months. A load of the old
click lock laminate had swelled and twisted so wants the kitchen flowing through with same tile as hall. Luckily tiles are still
available so did the job last week. Will post some pics up in a bit (Doug, you will be pleased to know that I took full control
of layout this time so no long joints!)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Used a circular saw to cut out a bit of the laminate to get the removal of it started. Under that were some old carpet tiles, some were soaking and mouldy so wore a mask. Beneath them were vinyls, removed all of the unstable ones in the flooded and surrounding area untill only sound ones were left. Customer then left a small heater on for the next couple of days to dry out the concrete. Went back on the monday to remove the last row of cut tiles that made the threshold of old hall to kitchen. Thoroughly degreased and cleaned vinyl tiles and applied a slurry coat of primer. Worked on a layout while that was drying.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
The tricky bit of this job was getting the levels spot on. The kitchen had been fitted on all those old flooring layers that were now gone. This meant the gaps under skirtings and the kitchen end panels were 6mm higher than the height of the tiles in the hall. Not a problem in slightly ramping up the level gradually to hit this target but it did mean using a PTB and back buttering.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Used window packers set at required height and a long straight edge to keep on track. All the kitchen end panels went back on perfectly and tiles slid under skirting boards that were left in situ.

Warning, *** shot in next piccy:

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

Such a pain when appliances are hard wired
IMG_1756.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hall and cloakroom in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
We want to replace our flooring in the cloakroom/powder room (which at the moment is slate). The...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

macten

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Nottingham

Thread Information

Title
Hall and cloakroom
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.