Discuss Handmade tiles the latest fashion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
Here in Bath, there are some excellent "Style" magazines that are keeping some well-heeled folk informed on the latest decorating trends. Handmade tiles are now "en vogue" here, compliments of individual artisans, Fired Earth and Mandarin Stone (amongst others).

Now, as a fixer, I appreciate the beauty of these handmade tiles. But some customer expectations need managing. Here are a few common discussions:
  • Tile sizes of handmade tiles do vary - a one millimetre grout gap was not the intention of the manufacturer.
  • Uneven surfaces are a product of the handmade individuality of the tile. However if they wish to return the defective tiles, please feel free to do so.
  • Paper faced mosaics are rarely aligned in perfectly straight lines.
  • If the tiles are different sizes, the picture/pattern on the face may not be perfectly aligned.
  • Why is it that handmade tiles seem to be so attractive to people who work as aircraft engineers?
Fortunately, my customer next week (who has mixed four different tiles from 3 different suppliers to create that "unique statement" on her kitchen splash back), is actually looking for that avant garde look and I may post a photo at the end of the week to let you see how her idea works out.

O

One Day

I just don't get it. I really don't. Over the years I've fixed plenty of mega expensive handmade tiles like these but I've honestly never liked any of them. The worst were recycled glass mosaics on paper. Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

The only handmade tile i almost liked was some raw terracotta which were very time consuming, but looked worth the effort finished.

Handmade tiles aren't like handmade cars.
They're rubbish.

R

Rickm34

I just don't get it. I really don't. Over the years I've fixed plenty of mega expensive handmade tiles like these but I've honestly never liked any of them. The worst were recycled glass mosaics on paper. Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

The only handmade tile i almost liked was some raw terracotta which were very time consuming, but looked worth the effort finished.

Handmade tiles aren't like handmade cars.
They're rubbish.
What i wanna know is why the hand made tile maker person hasnt been sacked yet. Lol

T

Time's Ran Out

Hand made tiles can be a nightmare but designers and architects love them because they are individual and I like them because you can charge more The trick is spend time in the prep and point out the issues in them ie size variation, bowing, thickness, colours etc etc

I agree that you charge for the additional time in getting that 'look' but if you have to point out the issues, then your in trouble. They know what there're after.

Somerset
Got a mild dressing down last week. Fixing these concrete encaustic (rustic) tiles from Alegria, in a refurbished restaurant. Foreman had me lasering levels to the millimetre. Everything precise and in line. Designer arrived on Tuesday and complained tiles were too neat.......
"We were looking for a more rustic look. You know, uneven, lipped, out of alignment..."

There is no pleasing some folk.
:confused:

Somerset
The work I started this thread with. A little unusual, but beats the standard metro splashback for originality. The picture tiles are both thicker and thinner than the crackle glaze plain blue and white tiles (which are themselves different sizes). The cooker splashback was a bespoke set of tiles.

WP_20160919_001.jpg WP_20160919_006.jpg WP_20160919_003.jpg

WP_20160919_001.jpg WP_20160919_003.jpg WP_20160919_006.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Handmade tiles the latest fashion in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! Just looking for some thoughts regarding extending an existing tiled are if possible please...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm looking for some advice from the experts and hope you can help. I've just had a...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
G
Now here is an idea. For £1500 -£2000 the newbie gives me the money and for the next 5 weeks I...
Replies
Views
Jeff the tiler
J

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB