UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hardi backer love it, hate it, why? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peckers

Do you like using hardi backer? yes/no give your reasons why you like it or dont here.
What has prompted me to ask this question is!

I have never been a fond lover of this product as compared to alternative products it is heavier awkward to cut and because of these reasons I havent used it much.

Well turned up on site and the customer has supplied everything including the hardi backer and theres a huge pile of the stuff!

So ive been fitting the 12mm board to stud walls and cutting the board with the scribe as provided by scoring one side and then the other and finally snapping works but it takes too long and is a chore to do! then when you have shapes etc to cut out the scribe is no good for this!
so i tried my jigsaw on the board. first was a wood blade got about halfway threw a board and it had burnt it out
then i tried a tile blade this is soo slow
so i resorted to my grinder and diamond wheel much quicker. dont know how long the blade will last though:incazzato:

Drilling holes for l.e.d. lights etc first used my wood hole set 4 holes and bits are useless. resorted to my 365 diamond bits and they work a treat.

then to screwing them to the studwork. well the screw wont pull in flush to the face of the board no matter how much effort or weight you put behind them:incazzato:
so i decided to use my countersink on them! Guess what it ruined this too:incazzato:
So in the end i used a masonry bit to countersink them this works a treat:thumbsup:
IMO this board is hard work and slower then say marmox or wedi to install.

How do you find it using hardi?
what tools do you use on it for different cutting drilling etc?
Do you like it or hate it?

What alternative backer boards do you use and why?

S

Scott

I use an impact driver for the screws. Have tried various method of cutting but not using a grinder. I did have limited success with a reciprocating saw but only worked on the short side as the blade overheats on the long side and then blunts.

I prefer it to aquapanel as that just as bad to cut and is way too brittle

I havent voted as i like it for what it does but dont love it or hate it

R

Rob Z

I use an impact driver for the screws. Have tried various method of cutting but not using a grinder. I did have limited success with a reciprocating saw but only worked on the short side as the blade overheats on the long side and then blunts.

I prefer it to aquapanel as that just as bad to cut and is way too brittle

I havent voted as i like it for what it does but dont love it or hate it

Scott, the Hardibacker brand screws that they sell here are sweet. They cut right into the HBB and countersink easily. An impact driver helps too. :thumbsup: Just two years ago I was saying "no way will I get an impact driver". Now we have four of them. :)

H

heavytrevy

Sounds good, no dust with the cutter i linked either
Could u throw up a link for the shears u talk of?
might shop for a simular tool in Oz .

Trev, I've used an electric shears cutter that goes through the hardi like a hot knife through butter. Very nice, and I don't remember the price (but worth it to avoid the dust).

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hardi backer love it, hate it, why? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm in the process of doing a small job using Hardie backer board for the walls. I've tried to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.