Discuss have you ever reduced your price when being rejected? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

so if god forbid, mrs doug was made redundant and the mortgage needed paying and the gas and electric were in the red and those 2 lovely little lads of yours needed shoes, and the job that you had just priced was a little bit out of the clients range and they said, if you could come down abit, the jobs yours doug,,,,,would you?? or would you say no, i'm worth more??

thats all the point i'm making!

Are you struggling mate..? all ok..?

D

david campbell

occasionally i will drop my price but not if it's dramatically reduced,if a customer phones and says i'm say £50 higher than the other quote on a job over £500 but would prefer me to do it if i would come down that £50 then i don't see it as a problem,if they asked me to to come down a £100 i look at it as if they are extracting the urine and politely refuse,i did walk out a house round the corner laughing when i gave someone a price for a kitchen splashback and he asked if i would match the polish guy who had just priced it's quote of £80 inc materials

S

Spud

I think a lot of you guys are missing the original point in the first post,Have you ever dropped a price because you fancied doing the job not because you are desperate for the work ,I have done this on a couple of prestige jobs that look good on the c.v and still covered my dayrate
Its interesting that there is a split where some guys defend their prices as they see it as their fair bottom line price and others see that their prices have room for negoitation as they factor in a profit margin above their bottom line ,many of my customers are Asian and Jewish and in these cultures they expect room for negotiation and expect some bartering over the price and wish to see that they have drove the negotiations and gained a good deal for themselves ,its just business I am never offended sometimes we can shake hands and agree a price and other times we shake hands and walk away:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

I hope your in business to make a profit

if you have your costs worked out which includes wages plus a profit what gives when you drop your price

profit goes first then your wages, if your only bringing home enough to pay your bills then wheres the float for your next job coming from. how do you invest in tools etc and market your business...........out of your own pocket?. where does that leave your wages

its madness to drop your rate

price one job cheap and you will struggle to raise your rates again, believe me Ive done it and have had to take drastic action to break the cycle

I'v never reduced the price i'v wanted when i work out an estimate. But if i get the feeling that the customer is going to try and knock the price down, while i'm there doing the measuring, then i'll put a bit on to the estimate so i can reduce the price without going under the price i wanted in the first place. Then the customer see's a reduction, and i still get my price, everybody's happy.

B

Brindle

Spot on Doug. I've got jobs up to my armpits waiting at home! I reduced my price once (in 3 years) as the customer had 4 prices, said mine was the dearest and would I be willing to drop price by £75?!!) I said I don't normally but split the difference with him...big deal, but got the job. A recent quotation visit quickly established the customers were not very nice people (a factor in my pricing) and were looking for a rock bottom quote for multi room polished porcelain/ wetroom. On giving my price, they wanted me to justify all of the pricings like I was ripping them off. He wanted me to drop my price, said I don't slash my prices to match someone elses. On that occasion I would definately rather be marketing/ working at home than working for less in order for THEM to save money for buying their next Jag/ holiday/ £5k bath/ whatever!
I disagree there Ed, there's always jobs around the house that need doing. If you pimp yourself you set a precedent and clients (most of mine from referrals) would start quoting what you did their friends job for.It's a slippery downward spiral if you start dropping your rates, if they want you because of the high standard of work you do, they have to pay for it:thumbsup:

B

Brindle

Yes Gary, after reading this, my 'haggler' was Asian and as you say it is a cultural thing. I did go in with a cheapish price on the off for a job I really wanted though, which I got :)
I think a lot of you guys are missing the original point in the first post,Have you ever dropped a price because you fancied doing the job not because you are desperate for the work ,I have done this on a couple of prestige jobs that look good on the c.v and still covered my dayrate
Its interesting that there is a split where some guys defend their prices as they see it as their fair bottom line price and others see that their prices have room for negoitation as they factor in a profit margin above their bottom line ,many of my customers are Asian and Jewish and in these cultures they expect room for negotiation and expect some bartering over the price and wish to see that they have drove the negotiations and gained a good deal for themselves ,its just business I am never offended sometimes we can shake hands and agree a price and other times we shake hands and walk away:thumbsup:

Reply to have you ever reduced your price when being rejected? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
have you ever reduced your price when being rejected?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.