Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Heat Mat installation question.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
There will be no DPM under the existing tiles. That puts your new tiles at risk especially if the new tile face is heated. Also if there is no insulation the heat mat will simply be trying to heat up the world cos there will also be no thermal insulation under the quarries. Best thing would of course be rip em up and do it properly but I would say minimum would be 1200g DPM over the existing tiles then some insulation board suitable for the UFH mat, then SLC followed by tiles. To get the highest thermal conductivity you might wat to consider SLC based on Gypsum and then adhesive based on the same.

Last edited:
R

Richard Edwards

Sound advice - as always from Ajax - You might be alright without DPM as the floor might have a DPM and if not I think if you used cementous boards as opposed to std insulation boards and taped and sealed the joints, then this is waterproof too. You will have to check the K value of the two board types with the manufacturers and compare the test results for the same thickness.

The only aspect my advice might differ from Ajax is - If you used Gypsum SLC with a higher insulation value, this might work against you, as the SLC is used to cover the cables and what you should be aiming for is max insulation under the cables and minimum around / on top of them to transfer max energy to the tile surface, hence I would go for Cement based high flex / latex.

Reply to Heat Mat installation question.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Heat Mat installation question..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.