Discuss Heating mats on chipboard flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BenEyles

Fair comment! I've always used 9mm ply NOT the BS 15mm and never had a problem, ever! even using Vitra Flex, Ultra RSG or dunlop flex which arent the most flexible of ahesives. I did however just see the link "tiles popping up on a (9mm) ply floor" and seems that everyone is raving about boarding it instead of ply, do these boards have the same effect as ply, i.e brasing the floor and do u screw them or lay with adhesive?

F

faithhealer

Fair comment! I've always used 9mm ply NOT the BS 15mm and never had a problem, ever! even using Vitra Flex, Ultra RSG or dunlop flex which arent the most flexible of ahesives. I did however just see the link "tiles popping up on a (9mm) ply floor" and seems that everyone is raving about boarding it instead of ply, do these boards have the same effect as ply, i.e brasing the floor and do u screw them or lay with adhesive?
No Ben, these cement boards do not stop deflection in the floor. Last bouncy floor I did, fastened /re newed floorboards best I could, 1/2 " ply then hardie on top. Customer moaned about the height at first but ramped the carpet and threshold bar up and you can't tell there is an inch height difference

B

BenEyles

Yes that makes sense, but what i mean is if you have a solid chipboard floor which is solid or minimal movement are the backer boards enough to brase the chipboard joints alone or do you still have to ply the floor first, eg if you tile directly onto the chip board obviously the tiles would lift and crack on the joint between two chipboards, but is the backerboard enough to brace it?

Never had to use backer board so i wouldnt know, always used Detra or 9mm ply!

Reply to Heating mats on chipboard flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Heating mats on chipboard flooring
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks