Discuss Hello There.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

whitetie

Hi Guys n Gals

Thought I would say hi.

I have been led in this direction through me trying to sort and work out the best solution for my tiling situation.

I have just had a small extension built on the back of my terraced house, downstairs is now all open plan. The building work is just about finished... the dust has finally settled!

Anyhoo, I intend on tiling a quarter of the room which is to be the kitchen (10m2) and the rest of the room will be engineered flooring. This is the bit that confuses me a touch. The floor is concrete and comparitively level, but the flooring is 18mm thick plus 3mm for underlay = 20-21mm. The tiles that I have singled out (white mirrored effect quartz) are 8mm thick.. thus leaving a height differential of 13mm not including adhesive.

I feel the best finish would be for the 2 materials to be level, I think I understand that I would have to build up the tiled area surface with some sort of compound? Also, the tiling will meet the flooring along 2 edges, I need a way to resolve this as the flooring needs a 10mm gap for expansion etc, from what I gather in my research, I need a transition strip? but cant seem to find these in a nice metal or brushed metal style!

In reading this, hopefully somebody would know what I'm on about!:smilewinkgrin:

It's a job that needs doing in the next 2-3 weeks, I dont know if this is the right forum to post in but it's worth a shot!

Cheers

Matt

W

whitetie

Thanks Dave,

Didnt think of that, looks like an inexpensive solution!

Right then, I have taken a pic... the tiles will come down from the line of the door down past the island marking on the floor, then squared off to the right wall/staircase..

IMAG0020.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope this makes sense? The flooring will be mainly in the living room but will continue up to the rear french doors.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hello There.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hello There..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.