Discuss Hello in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rach1

Hi all,
Thanks for your welcome, hoping someone can help!
Sorry in advance for my long winded post, am trying to give as much info as I can.
Just under two years ago we had our bathroom refitted. All the walls and the floor are tiled. (three internal, one external) The wall tiles are made by a firm called Vitra Karo and are 298mm x 598mm x 9mm
Initially I noticed some cracking in the tile surrounding the shower control within a few weeks of the install but wasn’t too concerned because these were only visible when water was sprayed directly on it when cleaning and I assumed it was a natural quality of the tile. Over time it has worsened as you can see in the photo.
Recently however I have noticed more and more cracks in the tiles on three of the four walls and I have attached more photos to illustrate.
These cracks travel in all directions, some to the edge of tiles or some just in the middle. Some have one crack across the whole tile, some have many cracks. Some of the cracks appear to be crazing in the surface of the tile whilst others are cracked right through enough to admit a piece of paper. Some are only visible when the tiles are wet (water darkens and also settles onto cracks making them obvious) but these seem to worsen and become more visible over time.
I have found only one place where the crack extends into the grout so I think this rules out subsidence, the bathroom was tiled on two of the walls before with no issues anyway and we can see no evidence at all of any subsidence. Visually I can see at least 20 of the tiles are cracked and these can also be felt with a finger nail. When I wet the tiles I can see cracking on at least 30 more.
My first reaction was there must be a fault with the tiles however I no longer think this is the case because on one internal wall there appear to be no cracks what so ever, the same is true of a constructed bath side which is also tiled.
What could be causing this?
I realise it may not be possible to “diagnose” the problem over the internet so how do I find an expert who could come and examine and report on the tiles for me and suggest any possible solution? How much could I expect to pay for such an opinion? I live in the Lincoln area.
Many thanks for any help and advice you can offer.
Regards,
Rach
P1010351.jpg
P1010344.jpg P1010349.jpg P1010354.jpg

R

Rach1

Thanks.
i suppose the only way to find out would be to remove a tile?
Could dotndab be causing so many cracks? Does it cause stresses in the tile? The worst cracks are in areas that aren't ever touched, don't get wet and don't come under any pressure. They don't even get cleaned really because they don't need it beyond a wipe with a damp cloth.
its confusing and worrying.
regards,
Rach

G

Gazzer

I think we would really need to know all the info regarding preparation of the walls. Lets say for now that the tiles are not at fault due to the fact that one wall is fine. How were these other walls prepared in comparison with the others , if indeed there was any difference ?
My thoughts are leading towards walls being skimmed and tiled before the plaster has had time to dry ...but then again without all the info and also removing a few tiles I guess its hard to give a good enough opinion.

R

Rach1

Hi Sir Ramic,
I'm afraid I just don't know, it was a case of leaving them to it. I didn't think I needed to know really, but you live and you learn!
i remember there was skimming mentioned but they did skim the ceiling so it could have been that.
The wall that is fine didn't have any tiles previously so I expect you are correct that they were prepared differently.
Could undry plaster cause so much crazing and cracking?
Thanks everyone for your thoughts,
regards,
Rach

R

Rach1

Hi Steve,
I have and they first suggested I contact the tiler myself which I wasn't happy about because i didn't employ him, I employed them. They have now put me in touch with the tile distributor who is coming to have a look next week. I am just looking for possible reasons for the problem so I don't get bamboozled or misled because I have no idea really.
Hopefully they will sort this out, as I am sure tiles shouldn't crack the way these have in under 2 years. The previous tiles in there had been up for over 10 years and were all completely sound. I don't want to give any info about them because they might sort this out for me and all will be well. (Fingers crossed!)
Regards,
Rach

Reply to Hello in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, new to forum and after some advice after a professional install. Just had kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB