Discuss Hello in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi rachel,your right they should not be getting you to call the tiler as he was a sub contractor they should be imo coming out at least to do a site visit themselves

as well as that i would ask them specifically what the wall substrate make up is that they fitted /amended you will really need some info from them imo incase the tile distributor doesnt have any answers

take photos and i would suggest after you have your reports from both sides removing a tile to see fixing methods also

let us know how you get on

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi and welcome rachel.

......My thoughts are leading towards walls being skimmed and tiled before the plaster has had time to dry

This is my first thought. But looking at the pictures you've put up as well does raise questions of spot fixing as well. Is there any hollow sounds behind tiles that haven't cracked?

1950's and is/was married quarters for MOD? I think tiles have been spot fixed personally, original walls weren't always that flat. Bit like old DSS housing, when orginally built they would of had 3 or 4 rows of tiles around the bath. The rest would of been plastered, some times after tiles were fixed.

I don't think the walls been preped correctly and they've struggled to get a larger format tile flat on a bumpy wall so resorted to DnD

R

Rach1

Hi All,
After four months “investigations” which it turns out was all about the bathroom company looking for someone else to blame and had nothing to do with wanting to put my bathroom right, I thought I should put an update here.

Apparently (and I have only the word of a less than honourable man on this, having myself seen no paperwork about it) the tile manufacturer says the tiles are sound and it is an adhesive problem. The adhesive company says there is nothing wrong with the adhesive.
That would only leave the preparation of the walls or the fixing method (which seemed to be the general opinion here) but they haven’t even taken a tile off the wall such is their determination to get to the bottom of the problem!!
A company director from the bathroom company sat in my kitchen last week and told me there is nothing his company will do to fix the problem. He even had the gall to tell me his solicitor says I will have to prove what the problem is if I take him to court and tried to imply that the state of my tiles is a complete mystery so I will be unable to prove anything??!!
I have sat patiently for four months being told, “Yes of course it will be put right” and even “the tiles have been ordered” when all the while they have just been seeking ways out of their responsibilities.

I have taken some advice and as a first step have written to them re Supply of goods and services act but judging by their attitude it does look like court will be the final outcome. This holds no real fear for me because I am confident the state of the tiles will speak for themselves and that any court would agree that an £8000 bathroom should last longer than 21 months!
With this in mind it seems I will be needing some kind of expert opinion on the tiles in the near future and was wondering if members here can make any suggestions of where to get this and what the cost might be?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
[FONT=&quot]Rach[/FONT]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hi, new to forum and after some advice after a professional install. Just had kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB