UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help & advise - Faulty Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Saltire69

Hi Karen and welcome to the forums. As the lines are clearly visable i would go along the lines of that your fixer(cousin i think u said) took 2 or 3 days to lay them as he's not a tiler and if the defect was showing before u would have got him to stop. Get B&Q back out and ask them the same, would they have carried on tiling with the line clearly visable. Thats what i would try and do for your money back as this is'nt just a small defect that some1 could miss. Failing that get onto the judge in the Sunday Mail:thumbsup:

K

karen2906

if the marks were not showing before then they may fade back when all the moisture has gone ie:is it a new extension.
one other possible is the black grout that was used and this has showed up the fault.

No the kitchen isn't an extension and the tiles have now been down for about 6 weeks, so the line isn't going to disapear - but thanks for your theory

K

karen2906

hi karen, just to re-cap, they've(B&Q) offered you a refund on your tiles, but left you to sort out everything else, ie taking faulty ones up and re-laying new ones?

Hi Doug, Johnson Tiles have offered me new tiles only. Spoke to B & Q today and was told by them that they will not deal with my complaint as the blame lies with the manufacturer. I then phoned trading standards, they told me that it's B & Q who should compensate me, although they reckon I won't get compensation for relaying the tiles as my brother laid them for nothing. Obviously I need compensation for the taking up of the tiles which I believe will be costly and new tiles, adhesive & grout. So I have written a letter of complaint to B & Q's head office - Like most have said on this posting B & Q are trying to pass the buck

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Trading standards are correct. This infuriates me. Your contract of sale is with b and q not with johnsons tiles. The letter to you from johnsons is useful but not really relevent as johnsons have bypassed their own contrat chain and it should have been sent to b and q not directly to you.

If, as any court would probably agree, the tiles are sub standard then b and q should sort it out with you.

The only problem you have is that being a big company they are likeylto have within their conditions of sale a clause limiting their liability the cost of replacing the faulty goods only and will not accept liability for consequential losses. you will not be able to change this in court as they will have sold them in good faith and notmknowingly as being faulty.

You have a choice in my opinion to accept that they will only pay for the cost of the tiles and negotiate a settlement with them, take them on legally speaking or to cut your losses and walk away from them and sort it yourself. You will have no recourse in law to seek compensation from johnsons as you have no contract with them.

I think if it were me I would make a few threats to b and q.

1. Write a letter addressed to their technical director copied to the store manager where you bought the tiles. Make this a nice but firm letter explaining the situation in detail. Send a copy of the Johnsons letter and ask them to tell you what they intend to do about it. give them 14 days to respond.

2. If after 14 days you receive no response or you receive a negative response. Send a second letter much more firm this time saying that you are not satisfied with their response and that you "demand all of your detailed costs to be reimbursed in full and final settlement of this dispute. If said costs are not fully paid you will be left with no choice but to take further, more serious action, within a legal framework" outline your full costs, and send them a copy of all the previous correspondence with it. Address this to the same people but add the commercial director and the managing director. Give them 7 days to respond in the letter.

3. If after 14 days they have not responded take them to the small claims court. You should win this one but only if you can be seen to have tried to sort it out by any means other than court. If you lose walk away and sort it out yourself.

4. If you win judgement and they do not pay after a further 14 days and you have received no satisfaction ( bear in mind you are likely to have to settle for a figure less than the over all costs and I suspect they will make you an offer) then send a letter to all of the same people plus the purchasing director saying that as they have failed to resolve this matter satisfactorily you must assume that for financial reasons they are unable to do so. For that reason you intend to issue winding up proceedings against them.

The first two letters should sort it out but the third always gets their attention. Bear in mind though it will be an empty threat and a last resort.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help & advise - Faulty Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Help & advise - Faulty Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.