Discuss Help aqua board has been skimmed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JVC600

the plaster skim has come off in little pieces ..
very brittle
well i am going to get the rest of the plaster skim off these boards in next few days .

i will then tank over the boards with the bal wp1 kit i think .

that should sort the problem .

i know now gypsuim plaster skim and knauf aqua boards dont go together.

i think to elimante the aqua boards been been originally pva i will wash them off with water then give them a quick light sand with 180 grit sand paper before i tank them .

should be ok then ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
I would still be concerned whether the boards are suitable to tile at all, because pva was used, and it's unlikely to have come off with the plaster, therefore, you still have a skin over the aquapanel which the tiles would be stuck to, and the bond is only as strong as the pva skin. Aquapanel should never be primed either, to be safe I would replace them completely imo:thumbsup: Also the dust from aquapanel is harmful, so I wouldn't recommend sanding that either.

Last edited:
J

JVC600

thanks for the replies .

i took a wall paper stripper to the boards last night .
the plaster just fell off afer about 10 seconds worth of steaming

have spoke to kanuf technical and bal reference tanking them .

they said as long as i can get the plaster off they should be fine .

as a safe guard a light sand with 180 grit should get the key grip back after washing them off with water .

as for taking them off they cost over £75.00 to replace so dont think i want to to do that .

tanking them will make them totaly water proof , so hence use the bal primer them the tanking kit .

i think this will do the job ??

Reply to Help aqua board has been skimmed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help aqua board has been skimmed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.