Discuss Help dealing with a tiler in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stocks Tiles

Hi again, after a little advice regarding a tiler I've just used to help speed up the project I'm doing. Cut a long sorry short his cuts are dreadful and I am going to have to replace all of these and he's left black marks of a few tiles from his grinder where he's let the machine rub. Obviously he's wanting to be paid so my question is how do I go about charging for the repairs? It's going to be a good half a day if not more for replacing them and also getting more tiles to do it with!

There are two rooms they're just back to back.

Thank you

20160804_075038_001.jpg
20160804_075120.jpg

S

Stocks Tiles

The customers and the project manager of the company that I got the job through have told me he is to not touch another tile, they were pretty rattled that he had also been treading white adhesive onto their imported German balcony :/

Thank you, I assumed it's right to deduct I just wanted to make sure I go the right way about it so I don't get myself into a situation! We all go to work to earn money and want to be paid but I'm not getting paid for that until it's put right, was hard enough to find him for a tiler so I will have to replace it myself which I already need 9 days this week as it is lol

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Point out the issues you have and ask him what he is going to do about.....you must give him that option.
You will either get ' I'm really sorry I will get it all sorted till your happy '
Or 'can't see nothing wrong with it just pay me'
Or 'sorry mate its the best I can, deduct what you need to put it right'.
Either way talk to him....see what he says.

S

Stocks Tiles

Some mixed views now I see, yes I took a gamble as you put it but regardless poor work is poor work? My customers are over the moon to be honest, I apologised for the work that had been done and they have no issue with me they just want it corrected which is understandable.

Be interesting to see if any other mixed views come across on the situation, as I said I'd like to handle it the best and correct way possible.

Thank you

S

Stef

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year.
I took a tiler with 22yrs experience on & had to rip half his work back out, he had half height tiled a bathroom.
I let him go after a day & a half, he txt me the following week asking for payment, I sent him photos of work ripped out & explained to him that there would be no money left for him by the time I sorted it out.
He said he was going to contact the builder as he wasn't happy, I told him to go ahead as he was working for me & not them & he would get an ear bashing from the boss as the work was so bad.

S

Stocks Tiles

It's a lesson learnt that's for sure! As the jobs 190m2 of floor and was meant to be 35m2 on walls but this changed to 67m2 on walls with feature walls too it completely through my schedule out so had to try find help, better to do it myself in the future I guess!

Works gone absolutely mental the last 2 months and I was thinking about taking on a labourer but to also learn the trade but to learn how I expect things done! That way I should have a reliable and decent tiler (not being big headed lol).

Thanks again for the opinions, I'm going to talk to the customers and project manager tomorrow to see if they will let him come back to repair the work (should he agree too) and then go from there, his gap from the tiles to the ceiling are as big as 15mm in places which is also quite an eye sore.

L

LM

his gap from the tiles to the ceiling are as big as 15mm in places which is also quite an eye sore

I'd be thinking damage limitation, don't bring him back, you've got a valid reason with the customer making it clear they won't have him. Do what Gary says and polish it back.
I'd be afraid of further antagonising the client by going against their requests and bringing a numpty back.
In the long run you'll be doing the 'tiler' a favour anyway because he will learn the hard way to up his game!

S

Stocks Tiles

Thank you 3 fall lol, been rather lucky the customers and project manager have been fine about it and haven't a problem with me over it as they know it will be sorted. It's first job I've done for the company so rather annoying but the finish will be perfect when I'm done! The company builds hauf houses so would be nice to get offered future work!

Whitebeam they are 900x315 porcelanosa tiles, customers had chosen 600x300 from them but got sent these and they decided to keep them lol.

Reply to Help dealing with a tiler in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB