Discuss Help... is this the right way to tile my bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bunnycd

Would really like some advice peeps ***

I had an unfortunate experience with a tiler (I dont think he was one really) I employed this guy to tile my bathroom, he put the tiles on with unibond with 5 dabs and it never bonded after 48 hours the tiles started to fall off from a great height, one even smashed near my babies head so after that I was scared and sacked him and I took the decision to find someone else.

Now, the new guy has said he has 30 years experience and I have followed up his reference but I am a bit worried, he said that my walls are not good enough to tile straight onto and recommended that he puts plasterboard on the walls prior to tiling, is this the right thing to do? I have included photos of my bathroom below but wanted to know what you think? Is there anything I should look out for, is putting plasterboard all over the walls before tiling the right way to go? He also said the wall above bathroom needs plasterboard but this looks ok to me, what do you think?:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bunnycd

They are Laura Ashley porcelain tiles that are 24.5cm x 39cm, this is the bit by the shower:

highgate.jpg

T

TTT

If it was me doing this job id want to take off all tiles (tiling on top of tiles on a wall isn't a good thing could end up being over the weight limit for the plaster plus the old tiles might not take the weight) replace all damaged plasterboard and plasterboard that has alot of old adhesive stuck to it, score all painted walls and scrape off anything that is loose (i would be checking the weight of the tiles though as plaster is only meant to take 20kg per m2 that includes tile adhesive and grout if its over weight knock the plaster off back to the brick and dot and dab new plasterboard to it or build a stud wall and plasterboard it, with the stud wall you can put more insulation in behind the plasterboard). Might seem abit much but stripping back and rebuilding gives you a perfect substrate to tile to. I would also tank any shower area to make it 100% waterproof. Ive also tiled those tiles but the smaller ones and it looked brilliant the grout we used was bals brilliant white to go with the brilliant white tile! Hope this helps.

T

TTT

Easyt I agree with the size tile id be using powdered adhesive like mapei keraquick bal single part flexible or ulta proflex sp es. Tubbed adhesive if a D2 wont go soft like a D1 adhesive when water gets to it though(ie bal grip/white star D2 green star D1 i wouldnt use green star in a shower even though it says it on the tub!). The other thing with tubbed adhesive is if you use over tanking some say that you have to wait three days before you can grout if your just tiling a shower then why would you use tubbed adhesive!

Reply to Help... is this the right way to tile my bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB