Discuss Help... is this the right way to tile my bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bunnycd

Would really like some advice peeps ***

I had an unfortunate experience with a tiler (I dont think he was one really) I employed this guy to tile my bathroom, he put the tiles on with unibond with 5 dabs and it never bonded after 48 hours the tiles started to fall off from a great height, one even smashed near my babies head so after that I was scared and sacked him and I took the decision to find someone else.

Now, the new guy has said he has 30 years experience and I have followed up his reference but I am a bit worried, he said that my walls are not good enough to tile straight onto and recommended that he puts plasterboard on the walls prior to tiling, is this the right thing to do? I have included photos of my bathroom below but wanted to know what you think? Is there anything I should look out for, is putting plasterboard all over the walls before tiling the right way to go? He also said the wall above bathroom needs plasterboard but this looks ok to me, what do you think?:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bunnycd

Most of the people that responded to my ad for a tiler were out of the area so a long wait and to get a tiler around here is a 4 week wait, I have small baby so cannot go any longer without the bathroom.

This guy has been personally recommended to me by a family member and I have seen photos of his work and he is also a qualified plumber and tiler but now I am worried about the bonding thing, it was the wall above the bath, I think he said he will scrape the paint off and put some bonding or adhesive or something on the wall - what do you think he should do on this wall? You can see where the 1st tiler put 5 dots on the tiles that fell off the wall (LOL) it's bloody comedy show my bathroom, first guy tiles drop off second guy getting plastered with the money to buy the plaster!

If the 3rd guy I have hired puts plasterboard on it then I would loose some edge around the bath. Here is the photo again:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
tiler2.jpg
tiler2.jpg

B

bunnycd

sorry for the confusion:

Here is what has happend.

Tiler 1: put on 100 tiles in a day that fell of the walls after 48 hours. Tiles were wonky and looked appalling. Could remove tilers with little finger after 4 days. Not good.
Tiler 2: Guy came to quote and asked for materials money upfront to cover cost of plasterboard and I gave him the cash, never seen him again. Called his reference before giving money but he only got back to me after the guy had gone, and said he liked a drink so the bloke I think had an appointment with the pub. He got plastered on my plasterboard money.
Tiler 3: recommended by a number of people including family, going to start tomorrow, said it will take 5/6 days to complete he is expensive and is stripping down everything and taking off old tiles (as per my photos) but I thought he said he would not put plasterboard above the bath so I just asked for advice on what I can expect him to do. I think he said he will sand it or bond it first. I have viewed his work and looked good - straight tiles!

Need your advice: What would you do regarding the tiles above the bath in photo above?

B

bunnycd

sorry bunny i am a bit lost,have you resolved themoney thing with the tiler you were talking about using in the 1st instance...has he re appeared?
No he has vanished into the abis, at least I did not leave him alone in my house, my contents could have been nicked. I just looked at his business card and it has no home address! I will report him if my money does not turn up by the 21st and keep ringing him.

W

White Room

No he has vanished into the abis, at least I did not leave him alone in my house, my contents could have been nicked. I just looked at his business card and it has no home address! I will report him if my money does not turn up by the 21st and keep ringing him.

I don't put my home address on my business cards but on all invoicing it's there.

B

bunnycd

Bunny with painted walls the paint really needs to come off as you want tile adhesive to be stuck to the plaster. Once the paint is off then the walls should be primed with a acrylic primer NOT PVA! Hope you get your money back from the 2nd so called tiler! Just out of interest did you give any money to the first so called tiler???

No I felt sorry for him because he at least turned up but I think it was more complex for him, so I sacked him without payment.

B

bugs183

You shouldn't need to take the tray out. the board ideally should sit on top of the tray, allowing enough room for the tile and adhesive width for the shower screen to fit properly. If you can if you replace the boards, put new noggins agianst the tray as this will firm up the tray and support the bottom of the boards. Use waterproof tape between the boards and the shower tray.
Many guys here a using Marmox boards as they are waterproof, and only need waterproof tape at the joints, it is much lighter and easier to cut.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help... is this the right way to tile my bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB