Discuss Help... is this the right way to tile my bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bunnycd

Would really like some advice peeps ***

I had an unfortunate experience with a tiler (I dont think he was one really) I employed this guy to tile my bathroom, he put the tiles on with unibond with 5 dabs and it never bonded after 48 hours the tiles started to fall off from a great height, one even smashed near my babies head so after that I was scared and sacked him and I took the decision to find someone else.

Now, the new guy has said he has 30 years experience and I have followed up his reference but I am a bit worried, he said that my walls are not good enough to tile straight onto and recommended that he puts plasterboard on the walls prior to tiling, is this the right thing to do? I have included photos of my bathroom below but wanted to know what you think? Is there anything I should look out for, is putting plasterboard all over the walls before tiling the right way to go? He also said the wall above bathroom needs plasterboard but this looks ok to me, what do you think?:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bunnycd

I called him and also left a message on his phone, he said because I emailed him regarding getting it tanked he spent all morning looking into this and just forgot to call me, surely if he was any good he would have known about tanking, as he said he has tiled 100s of bathrooms. His wife called me as I left a message on their home number and he said that he told her he was coming back from Worcester...ummm no as he did not show up so I think he lied to her. Not looking good. I have a receipt for the money I gave him but no home address but his wife sounded decent enough. His reference said he likes to drink, so maybe he had an appointment with the local pub! He said he will come tomorrow at 8am to do it but I am having second thoughts, what do you think?

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
never ever pay a tradesman for materials up front!!!!!

if hes genuine he will pick the correct materials up himself then you pay him on day 1 of the job for materials, doesnt sound promising so far. Especially when he needs to look up tanking .........

REPORT HIM!!!!!!!

pardon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! paul that is a bold statement and completely innacurate

if he is to come round tommorow to start then he should have either the money you gave him or the materials you paid him for

my advice if i was in your shoes and having lost faith in him would be let him have the opportunity to hand back the money or the materials for the job.
then tell him you do not want him to proceed with the job

dont call the police at this stage as they will do nothing,

C

charlie1

never ever pay a tradesman for materials up front!!!!!

if hes genuine he will pick the correct materials up himself then you pay him on day 1 of the job for materials, doesnt sound promising so far. Especially when he needs to look up tanking .........

REPORT HIM!!!!!!!

Hi Paul, I always take small payment before I will even agree to put a job in my diary, buying materials for a job then customer calling to say they are no longer having it done at short notice will ever happen to me again!!

W

williamraff

Did he ever come round? Did he start the job? I must admit that im still amazed by the amount of plumbers builders and tilers that have never heard of tanking!

Don't be - I have worked with newly qualified RICS Surveyors and Builders with 30+ years experience who do not recognise the term or understand the principles of tanking.
I have had to explain the principles and reasoning behind tanking to NHS and Local Authority Estates Managers.

B

bunnycd

I think he got drunk on my materials money, not seen the bloke since, no refund given, angry at myself for giving him money upfront, never again! Thinking about it, I think it was a con, saying oh all walls need plasterboarding to get money upfront then without doing the job, bet he does it all the time. I have had quotes and aparently only 2 walls need plasterboarding and the rest will be PVC bonded, so he did not know what he was doing.

B

bunnycd

I only have an email address for him and this is my email to him:

Hi Stephen,

We were very disappointed that you did not arrive or let us know you were not going to complete the bathroom job as agreed on Friday 13th of May , therefore, the cost of materials that I gave you in cash needs to be refunded to me, promptly.

Please can you send me a cheque or postal order made payable to E . Mills via recorded delivery within 7 days (by the 21st of May):

Please e-mail me the tracking number once you have posted the cheque.

Please send to <removed address>

Regards,

P

paul78

pardon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! paul that is a bold statement and completely innacurate

if he is to come round tommorow to start then he should have either the money you gave him or the materials you paid him for

my advice if i was in your shoes and having lost faith in him would be let him have the opportunity to hand back the money or the materials for the job.
then tell him you do not want him to proceed with the job

dont call the police at this stage as they will do nothing,

knew it was a con by reading between the lines, seen it time and time again.....REPORT HIM!!!!!!!!!!

P

paul78

do you have his contact details ? address etc? is he not answering his phone? how did you hear about him and who was the reference off? i wouldn't let it go, i would chase him up and try get it back. how much did you give him btw ?

exactly. how did you get his number..... of a van, in paper, friend etc. get someone else to ring him at a different address for a quote for a biggish job so he will turn up and when he turns up you got him!

O

Olz

I think he got drunk on my materials money, not seen the bloke since, no refund given, angry at myself for giving him money upfront, never again! Thinking about it, I think it was a con, saying oh all walls need plasterboarding to get money upfront then without doing the job, bet he does it all the time. I have had quotes and aparently only 2 walls need plasterboarding and the rest will be PVC bonded, so he did not know what he was doing.

I think you mean PVA in which case I wouldn't use this third tiler either PVA has no place in tiling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TTT

PVA bonded now thats a term i cringe at especially off a tiler! Also like the one no need to tank i just use waterproof PVA! Seriously Bunny if you want a decent tiler who knows their stuff and their work checked out look on the tile association website you can easily find a tiler from your area and if need be contact the tile association direct. Also dont be afraid to ask the tiler to see their work first hand, ask them to arrange a veiwing at a previous job without the tiler there so you can get an honest opinion of them, have done this in the past to get jobs myself. Hope you dont get bitten a third time.

D

diamondtiling

PVA bonded now thats a term i cringe at especially off a tiler! Also like the one no need to tank i just use waterproof PVA! Seriously Bunny if you want a decent tiler who knows their stuff and their work checked out look on the tile association website you can easily find a tiler from your area and if need be contact the tile association direct. Also dont be afraid to ask the tiler to see their work first hand, ask them to arrange a veiwing at a previous job without the tiler there so you can get an honest opinion of them, have done this in the past to get jobs myself. Hope you dont get bitten a third time.

No need to go to the tile association whatsoever, there are plenty of pro tilers on this forum.

D

diamondtiling

Yep but by the looks of things diamond no pro tiler on here from bunnys area are really helping that much. Tile Association is a good port of call for a credited tiler for anyone around the country.

We are giving as much help as is asked from us, if the member needs a tiler then one can be arranged through this forum. We have TTA members here as well and we can help without giving the work away to another tiler just because they are a member of a small association.

Reply to Help... is this the right way to tile my bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB