Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

I don't know how much use the shower has had or how many people have used it in a day but moisture will find it's way through the standard grout that's why it's tanked below the tiles.

Pulled out a few wet rooms and there's allways been moisture that has made it's way under the tiles, if theres cracking in the grout then it will accelerate the process.

P

Paula

P3240076.jpg P3240074.jpg
P3240071.jpg

P

Paula

The above photos are the lowest quality I can do on my camera, but hopefully useful? While on my hands and knees noticed that there is grout missing around the drain, but doesn't look like the black lines on the grout away from the drain is cracked, just very dark coloured. Do you think that water could be getting in through the drain holes and migrating up the slope of the tray to the joints next to the wall?

P

Paula

Whitebeam, thanks for that. It's an en-suite shower, so just my husband and I using it, and only since about last June, so not even a year. We noticed the black marks within weeks of using it.

So are you saying that however well the tiles are laid there will always be moisture under the tiles, and that these black marks are unavoidable then (if cementitious grout is used)? Or do you think ours is badly done?

D

Dash J

I use bal epoxy,and yes the swimming pools were a nightmare
Paid a good linear m2 rate for it tho
Epoxy has changed its not as bad as it once was
As I say i always use it on my wet floors
Prob a bit over spec but better to be safe eh

P

Paula

That's interesting, DashJ. But I think Bal only do black or white in epoxy, don't they? Mapei do a wider range of colours. So you've never had trouble with epoxy cracking in upstairs wetroom floors (suspended timber?) ?

D

Dash J

Bal do grey Paula,I have never had a problem at all on upstairs wet floors
One of my neighbours got a wet room done same as you impey
He had water coming in from his ceiling
I had a look and the water was going in through the grout
This had caused the tiles to fail
I lifted the tiles,let it all dry out,fixed tiles 100% coverage,can't stress enough the importance of this!
Then grouted with bal grey epoxy
It's still perfect
Sod's law I will get a phone call from him tomorrow lol
The guys who told you epoxy wouldn't work are talking rubbish
And the tiler will most certainly tell you it won't work because he doesn't want to do it
If you can establish there is no underlying problem and you are still unhappy with the finish I would suggest re grouting with epoxy

Marc

P

Paula

Bal do grey Paula,I have never had a problem at all on upstairs wet floors
One of my neighbours got a wet room done same as you impey
He had water coming in from his ceiling
I had a look and the water was going in through the grout
This had caused the tiles to fail
I lifted the tiles,let it all dry out,fixed tiles 100% coverage,can't stress enough the importance of this!
Then grouted with bal grey epoxy
It's still perfect
Sod's law I will get a phone call from him tomorrow lol
The guys who told you epoxy wouldn't work are talking rubbish
And the tiler will most certainly tell you it won't work because he doesn't want to do it
If you can establish there is no underlying problem and you are still unhappy with the finish I would suggest re grouting with epoxy

Marc

Thanks for this, Marc

just out of interest, how did you ensure 100% coverage? My builder has told me that this is impossible, as there will always be lines of adhesive where a rake is used?

And why was water coming through the ceiling: surely the tanking should have stopped this?

P

Paula

I don't know how much use the shower has had or how many people have used it in a day but moisture will find it's way through the standard grout that's why it's tanked below the tiles.

Pulled out a few wet rooms and there's allways been moisture that has made it's way under the tiles, if theres cracking in the grout then it will accelerate the process.

Sorry, only just worked out how to do this quote business (!) but just to be clear, are you saying that it is inevitable that I will always have wet grout, even if the tiles are fully bedded down and grout not cracked? I need to know if I should be pushing to have the tiles re-laid….

Paula

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen