Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Paula

We had a wet room installed about 8 months ago. The floor is tiled with large 60x60cm porcelain tiles laid on Impey Waterguard membrane and the shower tray is Impey Aquadec Easyfit with the membrane laid over the top. It is a new-build first floor bathroom (new extension on older house) with a suspended timber floor. The tiles appear to be laid well and there has been no obvious movement or cracking of grout (Bal Micromax). However, almost immediately we noticed that in the shower area some areas of grout (which is light grey) did not dry out, and over time about 50% of the grout lines were permanently dark, even when the shower was not used for a few days. I searched tiling forums and became concerned that the tiles had been laid on an incomplete layer of adhesive, and that water was pooling underneath them, leading to permanently wet grout, but could not see any evidence of the tiles coming up or moving about, which usually seems to happen with problems like this.

Our builder called back the tiler who swore that he had used the correct amount and type of adhesive, and said that if he had not done so then the grout would have cracked on the floor. Bal, the grout and adhesive manufacturers, were called, but their "expert" tried to claim that the dark patches were not, in fact, wet, but possibly mould or even dirt! He agreed that it looked like the tiles had been correctly laid and suggested leaving the floor to dry and then replacing the grout and then using a sealer to stop water soaking through the grout. When I mentioned the possibility of adhesive not covering the back of the tiles, he agreed with the builder that it was very difficult to achieve a completely flat bed of adhesive, suggesting that it was almost inevitable that some pooling of water under the tiles would occur, leading to patches of wet grout.

We agreed to wait for the floor to dry out. We are now on week 5 (in a warm room with underfloor heating in the rest of the floor away from the shower tray!) and there is still a small wet patch, but most is back to the normal light grey colour. It took about 3 weeks for most of the moisture to go and the dark patches to disappear, so we have now discounted the mould/dirt theories, but are concerned that there must have been quite a lot of water sitting under the tiles for them to remain wet so long! The builder now just wants to seal the dried grout, and not re-grout at all. He is refusing to do anything else.

I have talked to most of the manufacturers of grout sealers, and they all say that their products will not completely waterproof grout, so I cannot see that this will be a long-term solution (also, don't fancy waiting for the floor to dry out each time it needs re-applying!). Epoxy grout seems like a good idea, but the builder seems to think that it would eventually crack if used on a timber floor (although when I spoke to Mapei about Kerapoxy they said that it should be fine as long as the floor is not bouncing around a lot, which it is not).

What I'd really like advice on is:

- is it normal to have permanently wet patches in grout on wet room floors even if the floor appears to be well laid?

- if we leave the floor as it is, will we be storing up trouble for the future? Am I being too fussy??!

- Is it possible to lay tiles in a pre-formed shower tray on a completely flat bed of adhesive, or will there always be gaps for water to collect in?

- Should we consider a grout sealer or epoxy grout to solve the problem or do the tiles need taking up and re-laying? (massive Job I imagine as
there is a huge glass shower screen resting on one grout joint and the membrane may be damaged in the process?)

It does feel like I am being fobbed off by the builder and the tiler, but admittedly the wet grout patches are the only problems so far. It would be great to hear from anyone who has had similar problems. I can't quite see the point of having tiled shower trays if they always look different to the rest of the tiled floor!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Paula

P3240076.jpg P3240074.jpg
P3240071.jpg

P

Paula

The above photos are the lowest quality I can do on my camera, but hopefully useful? While on my hands and knees noticed that there is grout missing around the drain, but doesn't look like the black lines on the grout away from the drain is cracked, just very dark coloured. Do you think that water could be getting in through the drain holes and migrating up the slope of the tray to the joints next to the wall?

P

Paula

Whitebeam, thanks for that. It's an en-suite shower, so just my husband and I using it, and only since about last June, so not even a year. We noticed the black marks within weeks of using it.

So are you saying that however well the tiles are laid there will always be moisture under the tiles, and that these black marks are unavoidable then (if cementitious grout is used)? Or do you think ours is badly done?

D

Dash J

Bal do grey Paula,I have never had a problem at all on upstairs wet floors
One of my neighbours got a wet room done same as you impey
He had water coming in from his ceiling
I had a look and the water was going in through the grout
This had caused the tiles to fail
I lifted the tiles,let it all dry out,fixed tiles 100% coverage,can't stress enough the importance of this!
Then grouted with bal grey epoxy
It's still perfect
Sod's law I will get a phone call from him tomorrow lol
The guys who told you epoxy wouldn't work are talking rubbish
And the tiler will most certainly tell you it won't work because he doesn't want to do it
If you can establish there is no underlying problem and you are still unhappy with the finish I would suggest re grouting with epoxy

Marc

P

Paula

Bal do grey Paula,I have never had a problem at all on upstairs wet floors
One of my neighbours got a wet room done same as you impey
He had water coming in from his ceiling
I had a look and the water was going in through the grout
This had caused the tiles to fail
I lifted the tiles,let it all dry out,fixed tiles 100% coverage,can't stress enough the importance of this!
Then grouted with bal grey epoxy
It's still perfect
Sod's law I will get a phone call from him tomorrow lol
The guys who told you epoxy wouldn't work are talking rubbish
And the tiler will most certainly tell you it won't work because he doesn't want to do it
If you can establish there is no underlying problem and you are still unhappy with the finish I would suggest re grouting with epoxy

Marc

Thanks for this, Marc

just out of interest, how did you ensure 100% coverage? My builder has told me that this is impossible, as there will always be lines of adhesive where a rake is used?

And why was water coming through the ceiling: surely the tanking should have stopped this?

P

Paula

I don't know how much use the shower has had or how many people have used it in a day but moisture will find it's way through the standard grout that's why it's tanked below the tiles.

Pulled out a few wet rooms and there's allways been moisture that has made it's way under the tiles, if theres cracking in the grout then it will accelerate the process.

Sorry, only just worked out how to do this quote business (!) but just to be clear, are you saying that it is inevitable that I will always have wet grout, even if the tiles are fully bedded down and grout not cracked? I need to know if I should be pushing to have the tiles re-laid….

Paula

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
This was a badly tiled tray that was letting water through the joints, the tiles were a mixture of dot and dab and using a notched trowel. There were big voids around the drain that water was sitting in and the tiles eventually came loose. I suspect that the drain had been set too high and they had to build up adhesive to the correct height.

Only thing I could do was remove the tiles, fill the voids, and then use a notched trowel, back butter the tiles, fix and grout, and no more problems.

wetroom1.jpg
wetroom5.jpg IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0774.jpg Wettray3.jpg

wetroom5.jpg IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0774.jpg Wettray3.jpg wetroom1.jpg

P

Paula

This was a badly tiled tray that was letting water through the joints, the tiles were a mixture of dot and dab and using a notched trowel. There were big voids around the drain that water was sitting in and the tiles eventually came loose. I suspect that the drain had been set too high and they had to build up adhesive to the correct height.
Thanks for that, John. I've been on my hands and knees and now in daylight I can see that there are extremely fine cracks along joints in the shower, mostly where the grout meets the tiles. They are very difficult to see, but definitely there, plus gaps around the grout round the drain. I suspect this is what is happening in my tray. One question, though: if we take up the tiles, will this damage the Impey tanking underneath?

All this has been very helpful, and certainly made me look a lot more closely at what is going on with the grout, so thanks everyone who has replied!

Paula
Only thing I could do was remove the tiles, fill the voids, and then use a notched trowel, back butter the tiles, fix and grout, and no more problems.

View attachment 60598
View attachment 60594 View attachment 60595 View attachment 60596 View attachment 60597
Thanks for this, John!

Just a quick question, if we take up our tiles, as you did, then will this damage the membrane underneath?

Paula

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Thanks for this, John!

Just a quick question, if we take up our tiles, as you did, then will this damage the membrane underneath?

Paula

That's the $64,000 dollar question. You won't know until you start taking them up. If they are fixed correctly I would say yes it is likely to damage the membrane.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Something looks wrong with the grout but it is not uncommon to get patchy looking grout especially grey even in dry areas when as mentions already too much water used to wash down or not letting the grout set long enough before washing.
Again as before, any grout will retain some moisture on a wet floor being used twice a day but it only takes the smallest on pinholes or one crack and water, and lots of it, will find a way through. As for complete and total 100% coverage no one can guarantee that as it does only take even a gap in the bed of a mm for water to travel through bit the grout is the first and best line of defence.
And for that reason all our wet floors whether on concrete or timber are grouted in epoxy by Mapei who have an excellent range of colours.
600 x 600mm tiles won't have that many joints so a regrout won't be that much of a job and it would be complete peace of mind and what I would push for.
Maybe meet halfway and offer to pay for the epoxy but the tiler will do the labour free of charge?

Your second detailed pic shows a typical crescent moon shape which can be formed when two different mixes are joined together, with the first having perhaps a little too much time to set. Also, the second mix can often be a different viscosity and therefore colour strength. The convex side of the shape will be the first mix.
Furthermore, as already mentioned, over working of sponging down and not allowing correct setting times before doing so can exacerbate the above ,(two different mixes situation). One mix could have been sponged down differently than the other.

I'd go to your nearest decent tile centre and ask to have a look at the kerapoxy colours. Some people think they look a little plastic'y however, I prefer the more vivid colours they give.
Beware as epoxy installation is very different from cement based grout and you need some one who knows what there doing or disaster can strike.

Else, perhaps you could just put up with the colour disparity :/

P

Paula

Hi everyone

Thanks again for all your wonderful replies. You convinced me that what we had wasn't normal and that I should push for a solution.

I asked the builder to come and have a look at the shower after two months (!) of not using it. He brought a moisture meter and discovered that the dark patches (there were still some) were, in fact, still wet. I also pointed out the very slight cracks in some of the grout. He agreed to consult with BAL again, and then decided to scrape out all the grout in the shower tray area and flood the joints with a liquid adhesive, so that it would flow into any gaps under the tiles.

After another 2 or 3 weeks he then got his tiler to grout with Mapei epoxy (medium grey). I must say this looks fabulous: not really any different in colour or appearance to the Bal cement grout when dry, and of course stays exactly the same colour when wet. I really wish we'd had this in the first place!

We have now been using the shower for a couple of weeks without any problems: no cracking, and still looks perfect. Only time will tell whether it can stand up to the rigours of movement on a suspended timber floor (although there is not a lot of movement currently), but hopefully given that it is fine so far, this bodes well...

Of course I will keep you posted if there is any change, but hopefully this thread will be of some use to others experiencing similar problems in the future. In my opinion it really makes sense to use a fully waterproof grout like epoxy in a tiled shower tray, but of course only after making sure that the tiles have been bedded down properly in the first place.

Thanks again,

Paula

P

Paula

Just thought I'd update you with what has happened with our wetroom over the previous weeks. The epoxy grout in the wet area has stood up very well, with no obvious cracking, and always stays the same colour, whether wet or dry. We're very pleased with that. HOWEVER.....despite re-applying silicone along the base of the glass shower screen separating the wet area from the rest of the bathroom floor (which still has cement grout) so that no water could creep under, we seem to have water seepage along the grout lines on the "dry" side of the screen, so that there are now unsightly wet patches and efflorescence (presumably where water underneath is evaporating from the surface of the grout) extending to about a metre and a half beyond the shower screen. We have recently been away for a couple of weeks and when we came back the dark patches were still there, but got worse when we started to use the shower again.

I mentioned that this was happening again to the builder and he says that water can't possibly be getting in through the shower tray with the epoxy joints, so didn't see what he could do.

As before, we think that the permanently dark grout patches and efflorescence look messy, and are worried about water collecting under the tiles.

Has anyone any thoughts on what could be happening??

Thanks,

Paula

P

Paula

Could it be from getting out of the shower wet to dry yourself? Or condensation perhaps.

I guess it doesn't matter too much what's causing it, the solution is going to be the same again I think. Regrout with epoxy?

Thanks, Dan, for your reply. No, where the worst patches are are well away from where we dry (in fact, they run from the glass screen to under the wall-hung basin, where nobody ever treads). And it's a big bathroom so we don't get condensation. The odd thing is that at the drying end, whereas the wet grout always used to dry out pre-epoxy, now where it gets wet it doesn't seem to dry as well, so looks permanently wet (even after 2 weeks of holiday!). The problem is definitely worse since we put epoxy in the tray: it's as if the water is escaping from the tray to an area where it can evaporate.

Surely if we epoxy the whole floor, it will just sit under the tiles? Do you think this is ok, or should we be worried about water escaping from the shower area under the tiles in the rest of the room? We really can't see how it can travel under the shower screen, but that's what it looks like!

O

Old Mod

Stab in the dark here, trouble is the two week drying period u've just had might scupper this theory a little :D
I recently witnessed a wet room floor that indeed kinda looked like it was leaking from beneath the screen.
In actual fact what it was, was capillary action on the screen itself.
It was sucking water uphill from the drain and trickling around the contours of the screen, making the dry bath area wet.
Just a theory mind :D
It could be completely bonkers too haha

P

Paula

I have not read all the replies so sorry if im repeating whats been said. I have had two wet rooms with the same issue and both times it was a leak from the shower .The only way for the water to go as the walls and floor had been fully tanked was through the grout, so it was seeping through the grout from underneath the tile, not water getting in from on top.

That's very interesting, deanotile! So where exactly was the water coming from in the shower? Do you mean from somewhere in the tray? And, more importantly, how did you fix it?

P

Paula

Stab in the dark here, trouble is the two week drying period u've just had might scupper this theory a little :D
I recently witnessed a wet room floor that indeed kinda looked like it was leaking from beneath the screen.
In actual fact what it was, was capillary action on the screen itself.
It was sucking water uphill from the drain and trickling around the contours of the screen, making the dry bath area wet.
Just a theory mind :D
It could be completely bonkers too haha

That's very interesting that you've had the same problem! But do you think I could be getting the same effect (ie capillary action drawing water from the drain to the shower screen) even though the grout lines from the drain are filled with epoxy (which is supposed to be impermeable to water)? Sorry if I'm being a bit dim here, but do you mean that there is water under the tiles around the drain, or just water lying on top around here?

So what, if any, was the solution in the end? I'd be very interested to hear!

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement