Discuss help! what adhesive shall we use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

makemosaictrace

We want to use ply because these are individual works of art - like paintings - that will later be fixed up on walls either indoors or outside. The ply would be fine to crew mirror plates into. Cementious adhesive is less practical in a classroom and also you have to have a whole section ready to stick down. We want to be able to stick the mosaic work down one piece at a time.

M

makemosaictrace

Yes, there are a number of people working with us to each make their own piece of mosaic art and quite a number of them want to fix them up on outdoor brick walls in their gardens when they've finished.

We want to work directly because they're beginners and they might not all be confident to work indirectly and then install in situ directly onto their outdoor brick wall. Also, some of them will put their piece of work up indoors.

We want one method for everybody which is why everybody will make their mosaic on a ply panel. I've done this using exterior grade pva in the past (unibond do one) but I'm aware that other mosaic artists always use silicone glue in this situation. I just wondered if anybody out there had experience/advice about this particular application.

Trace

U

user123

Trace, I'm with nybor and Rich, absolutely.

If you use ply and pva bits will fall off after two or three years at the latest, I know that from personal experience, especially if you are working with beginners where coverage is poor. Cement adhesive is no more awkward to use than any other, just mix up a little in plastic cups and give them out with little spatulas. I am also becoming more and more convinced that epoxy grout is the way to go for outside work, unfortunately we do not live in the Meds or any other hot country where things last so much longer, and bits falling off mosaics seems to be part of the charm there, not so here. If you want to know about epoxy grout I just posted a Mapei video that explains things pretty clearly :thumbsup:

Reply to help! what adhesive shall we use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I really need some sound advice as I’m well out of my depth. We have a little second home with...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
help! what adhesive shall we use?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.