Discuss Help With Laying Out Floor Tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

Y

Youngoggy

Dear all,

have got the floor level, aquadec down, shower valve in, backerboards down all thanks to advice from the experts on this forum. Thanks.

Will be tanking tomorrow and thinking ahead I could do with some advice on how to lay the floor out tile wise? I am using 400 x 400 Trav which I plan to "envelope" to allow for the falls on the aquadec.

It's 800 wide by 1200 long so the tiles fit kind of, but I want to make sure I get a neat job with no small cuts round the edges as the walls run out from nothing to around 25 mm at one end of the tray.

I reckon I start with the tray and work from there but haven't a scooby really as this is the first one I have done.

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks Rich. :45:

L

Leatherface

Eeerm :dizzy2:

Have not seen a photo of room ?
I agree with dry laying tiles onto a wet tray so you can mark out the diagonal fall from corners of drain to each corner of the tray.
But why dry lay the rest of the tiles to set out the remainder of the room ?

Use Rubi square, straight edges and tile staff !!!
Takes minutes, quicker than dry laying if you need to adjust set out !!!

Dry laying is utter madness !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Youngoggy

Guys,

could do with some advice re laying out the tiles on the aquadec former as I seem to be struggling. The former is 800 x 1200 and I am using 400 x 400 Trav so I figure to try and keep to two full tiles across the wide to get the best envelope, I have taken on board what you said about Bathroom Boys room and have taken the cuts from the centre of the drain and I have even cut out some cardboard templates to give it a dry run(see attached Pics, hopefully!!)

Only problem is I am ending up with two very small pieces of tile near the drain, will these small cuts be OK or can anyone suggest any alternative??

Thanks Rich:huh2:

Attachments

• Wet Room Pics 009.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Wet Room Pics 001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Wet Room Pics 011.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 145
W

wetdec

This issue is repeated constantly on here, Dave myself and others spend ages on it...............

You have a room 5m2 with a wet room former in, it could be tuff2, Aquadec, Tilux, Showerdeck, Wedi, Pro4mer, Pro4ma it doesnt matter.

You put underfloor heating down over the entire floor then discover the former wasn't fitted level or you have a drainage problem.

At this point you have a tray former, tanking membrane, UFH, leveler, adhesive and tiles layered 1 on top of the other.

If you cut out the former which is the option you will loose the UFH for the whole room.

If you didn't put under floor heating over the former in a wet room then you are a much happier man trust me.

It is a call you have to make but imo its the correct one

Hope this explains it a little.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Youngoggy

First time I have done one of these guys so go easy on me :smash:
I did speak to both the UFH supplier and Impey and they assured me that the tray and UFH would be fine. I see where you are coming from Decs and with the benefit of hindsight would have probably done it different but it,s down now and it's staying put as I tiled most of it last night! so will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best I suppose. Will let you know.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help With Laying Out Floor Tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB