Discuss Help with terracotta in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I have somehow managed to avoid terracotta until now,

I have to price a job tomorrow, around 17m2. The client is sealing them themselves, (with what I won't know until tomorrow)

I have been swotting up on terracotta, but am unsure on whether to cut them with the Dewalt, wet or dry? will water stain them?
Also I'm aware prices vary from place to place, so would you guys price it the same as trav or stone
Thanks

I agree with Dave mate - try and insist on sealing the cotta yourself, then you know it's done properly.:thumbsup:
I just did a job at the end of last year with Saltillo Terracotta and it took about 6 coats of LTP Colour Intensifier and Stainblock. Took about 10 litres for 20m2.:yikes:
Well and truly seal them before even thinking bout fixing/cutting them - I just cut them dry with my grinder.:smilewinkgrin:
Avoid leaving anything at all on the surface that may trap moisture as any prolonged contact may cause water marks, even when sealed. I had put a piece of Dural CI on top as a stepping stone and ended up with a few circular dot marks:mad2:
Most of all - Enjoy it, they are a lovely tile to fix and very satisfying finished job:thumbsup:

http://www.tilersforums.com/members/merlecollins-albums-graham-place.html

Oh and allow plenty of adhesive in your price as well, as the tiles will invariably be dished, so yo will need to fill the back of the tile to flat, before fixing.

Last edited:

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Thanks Dave and Merle,
I hope I will enjoy it, Normally I would turn it down as I have plenty on, but terracotta is probably the only thing I haven't laid, and I would like to try everything at least once:). I hear what you're saying re sealing, I'll see what they say tomorrow.
So dry cutting is the way to go,with grinder? Anyone tried dry cutting on the Dewalt?
Any more opinions?

Reply to Help with terracotta in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

We have used a grinder to take a millimeter or so off our floor as it was 40 years old, filthy...
Replies
Views
A
Hello All, I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
I
I wished to share this work with you, if I can. Lombard terracotta, material made by hand in my...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
2 3
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

tommyzooom

Arms
TF
Ireland
Website
http://www.mcknight-tiling.ie

Thread Information

Title
Help with terracotta
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.