Discuss help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brs73

hello there
i'm not a tiler but i have a problem that i need some help with.
i've had my bathroom tiled by a chancer!!
apart from the enormous gaps everywhere which i'm going to have to live with.i have one floor tile thats rocking. right in the middle of the room.
its 600x600 porcelein, 10mm thick. all of the grout around it has cracked.
it also has an underfloor heating mat underneath with a 6mm thermal board under that.
the last thing i want to do is take the whole lot up again.
is it possibe to take one tile up and get it back down again.?
any help would be greatly appreciated guys
thanks in advance

D

Daz

Some pics would help, please.
In theory if the tile is rocking then the tile "should" come up without damage to it or the UFH. Depending on what you find underneath will determine whether it is worth just replacing 1 tile or whether you need to do the whole job again.

How long ago was this job completed, please?

The best procedure for installation would have been to pour a self levelling compound over the wires prior to tile installation. If this has been done, then it is unlikely that you will experience damage to the UFH when removing tiles.

Good luck.

D

Daz

The tiler should have used a min 3mm spacer but that's not the cause of your issue. It sounds as though this tile has not been fixed correctly; Is the remainder of the floor intact, solid bed fixed (tap to see if any of the tiles sound hollow) and crack free?

Do you have any spare tiles?
You may be able to "smash" this failed tile free and then replace without damaging your UFH.

Have you paid the person, can you get him / her back to rectify the problem? I guarantee my work and would undertake to rectify faults as a matter of priority.

Daz

B

brs73

the other tiles dont seem that solid.
as i said the tiler that i had was a bit of a chancer. they were doing the plastering and told me they could tile.
big mistake on my part. i was very busy myself at the time so i couldn't keep a proper eye on what was happening.
i'm an electrician myself and i always guarantee all of my works and always make any complaints or problems my top priority.
this person isn't doing that. its proving difficult to get them back and i need to get it finished.
we spent a fortune on the bathroom and we havent used the shower yet so you can understand that it needs sorting asap.
thanks for your help dan

hi bad luck. ive just done the exact same job for a customer.with the good help of the forums experts this is what i did
1 remove grout from around tile edge i used a fein but one tile could be done by hand tool
2lift tile with sucker tool or break tile and remove
3remove debris/ sand and recement.carefull removal of tile and old cement is essential to ensure ufh is undamaged.
4take note of all information given from forum trusted members these guys are experts im an amateur next to them.good luck

Reply to help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
help!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.