Discuss Hi all. Newbie and honest help needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mallorcaman

Hi everyone.

im going to cut a very long story short to save your sanity.

Im 36 have been living in spain for the last ten years. Cut a long story short both myself and the mrs got made redundant from our jobs on the same day back in june. Have been in and out of different jobs throughout life and some more interesting than others. Anyway. With two mortgages and a family and step daughter to keep (and two beautiful dogs) i needed to focus on something for a career rather than a job. I have always had a keen interest in tiling and living in spain its hard not to notice it all. I have com back to the uk to retrain and have just completed a 9 day course with Darren at n.e.t.t.. (Now im fully aware of all the negativity regarding the fast track courses etc) i am realistic in my capabilities and am realistic with most aspects of life. However i am no dummy have run a successful business abroad for years (not tiling) but as with most things in spain not recession proof enough!

Cut a long story short myself and the family are moving back end of next year (october) i have just bought a house in essex where im from. I am in the uk to earn some money before going back to Mallorca in February for one last year ( as i have a contract to fulfil for work and i don't wish to let him down) if there is any cyclists here i run group cycling breaks and work for a hire company taking groups over the mountains each day) this will finish next october then will be back in the uk and want to work as a tiler. I would love to work alongside anyone in the essex or london area to just boost my confidence and skills etc. i am aware im not a tiler at the moment but have had. Good insight into the basics. Im not going out to quote on massive jobs etc. kitchen splash back etc and floors and work up. I am here for the winter and would love to work alongside anyone that is really busy and could do with some help. I am reliable and realistic and honest, but in the same time desperate to make sure my family are provided for and a future is built. I need to earn some money between now and jan to send home, so i will either do some agency driving if i have to but would love to get my skills and confidence built over winter and then once back home end of next year get cracking with either my own business or work with somebody else.

Any help advice or offers welcome! Even if its for a beer and a chat. My family is all abroad so im a bit out on a limb at the moment! If however your a cyclist and fancy a 100 mile ride and chat all day get in touch, kill two birds with one stone as it were!

Anyway thats my story in a nutshell please dont shoot me down in flames as after the last six months i really don't need any more knocking at the moment!

Many thanks

jeff

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome Jeff - life story put a tear in my eye, all that outdoor 'work' in the sunny climes of Spain! Not a country that should have joined the Common Market as the never never isn't for ever. Recession hits everyone and dreams dissolve. At least you can put a roof over your families heads and are not asking for handouts.
Problem is a 9 week course will not allow you the qualifications to work for agencies so a domestic route looks favourable.
Good luck and hopefully someone can help you out!

M

Mallorcaman

Hi guys thanks for the earm welcome.
John its not always sunny! And especially at the moment im typing this while in south shields!
Yes i guess domestic route eill be favourable but would like to build my skills and experience before working alone. I have never been a cowboy in anything i have done and there seems to be a lot of people out there chancing it snd giving tiling a bad name. I do not want to make mistakes and add to them so looking to gain some experience with a watchful eye before returning to spain for the next year, and would like to do some work there if i get the time.

Thanks diamond. Yes will be living within and hours drive of london (rush hour within a 9 hours drive ;-)) so hopefully once i learn the ropes and the way of the world and re intergrate into uk life. London will offer some possibilities. Thanks guys

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi all. Newbie and honest help needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Good morning, i took voluntary redundancy that kicks in at the end of September. I did a home...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB