UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi All, popping in to ask a floor raising question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Craigl

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for a great forum, I've got loads of valuable advice just from browsing over time.

I'm stuck with a floor raising issue.

I'm wanting to tile and lay underfloor heating in my conservatory, which is currently carpeted. Under the carper is chip board, under that, about 3" polystyrene raising the floor level and then concrete.

I'll need to create a secure enough level about 3" + above the concrete to tile onto, what do you guys suggest is the best option? Essentially it's a floating floor I think, and the usual suggestion is to run, but the 'boss' is insisting on tiles and I'm not getting past her.

Would putting 18mm ply onto the chip board and screwing it down work? although this will raise the level further. Or, do I take it all up, put down beams and secure ply to this? If I do this, how do I secure the beams to the floor?

Any ideas appreciated, many thanks,

Craig

D

DHTiling

Hi Craig...

So below this concrete you have a DPM ye...?

If that is the case then use 150mm frame fixings and fix every 300mm and pull the floor down tight to the substrate to remove any deflection... then over board with a backer board and tile to that.. with Min S2 adhesive but you MUST remove deflection and only if you do not hinder the effect of the DPM..

Or as you say RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Remove chipboard, remove polystyrene, lay 3"battens on concrete on dpc. Screw battens down to concrete making sure the gap between the battens is 400mm. Buy 50mm polyurethane insulation boards and cut tightly between the battens. Lay hin polythene sheet over the whole lot then lay 15mm underfloor heting pipes between the joists and attach into you radiator system via a return temperature limiting valve. Fill the pipes with water and check for leaks. Mix a gypsum browning plaster with sand approx 1part sand to 1part plaster should do it. Mix with water to a semi pourable consistency and pour between the joists over the pipes. Making sure you finish it level with the top of the joists to provide a flat level surface. Overlay with 12mm ply screwed down to the joists at 300mm centres followed by 6mm hardibacker stuck down with flexible cement based adhesive and screwed down to the joists every 300mm between the screws in the ply. Then tile..........

Alternatively as Dave says......

I never like only one option

C

Craigl

Hi Craig...

So below this concrete you have a DPM ye...?

If that is the case then use 150mm frame fixings and fix every 300mm and pull the floor down tight to the substrate to remove any deflection... then over board with a backer board and tile to that.. with Min S2 adhesive but you MUST remove deflection and only if you do not hinder the effect of the DPM..

Or as you say RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, I'm slow, I've only just realised what you mean by using frame fixings to pull everything down. That's an excellent idea. I'm assuming that gluing the backer board could be only improve this?

Would ply screwed down to the chip board have any benefit over the backer board?

Thanks again

C

Craigl

Hey all, just a quick update on how I got on.

So, after much deliberation, the chip board and polystyrene came up, I thought I'd do it properly. The concrete floor had a DPM, so I put joists down with 300mm centres, noggins, filled the gaps between the joists with the loose fill loft insulation and then boarded over with 18mm weather proof ply, screwed down every 30mm. The floor felt really secure and had no bounce.

It's amazing what piece of mind you get when you spend a little more time and money and do it the harder, longer way.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Craig

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi All, popping in to ask a floor raising question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hi All, popping in to ask a floor raising question
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.