UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi All, what do you think? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Walenut

Hi All,
First can I congratulate you all on excellent forum loads of information and a wealth of experience. I have spent some time scouring the posts and think I have answered most of my queries but I will detail my job and hopefully clarify to myself any remaining points.

Firstly I have self built a large extension on my house so have a certain level of expertise. I have done a moderate amount of tiling in the past but I am in no way an expert and I would be paying for a professional if I hadn’t run out of money due to the fact that I have now well and truly had enough of building J

So the job in hand, I have a kitchen, conservatory & wet room floor to tile 33m2 in total, these are all on the same level and running into each other apart from the kitchen to the conservatory which is separated by an oak timber thresh-hold set in the screed which secures by-folding doors.

The screed is fibre reinforced Truscreed at a depth of 50mm over wet UFH; this is bonded to a 150mm concrete slab which is then over 100mm Celotex then DPM. (I am assured by Tarmac & the UFH supply company that this level of screed fully bonded to a slab is an acceptable construction method for wet UFH at this depth, fingers crossed)

I will be tiling the kitchen & conservatory floor with a 330mm x 500mm porcelain tile in a stretcher bond pattern and thought it would look nice set at 45º instead of square to the room.

The screed, now 5 weeks into drying out, has some hair line cracks in various places which are what I expected to a certain extent. An additional problem is that it will be difficult to commission the UFH system as its going to be fed by a new condensating boiled which has yet to be installed in the garage and with the current weather I’m reluctant to start ripping out the old back boiler.

I am assuming that best practice would be to lay an uncoupling membrane prior to laying the tiles on a full bed of adhesive but I am now really struggling for height so I would welcome any suggestions. Reading the forum I am also assuming that an expansion gap will have to be left around the perimeter 10mm? I can cover this with the skirting & kitchen units, plus a silicon bead where the tiles run into the hall timber floor & to the timber thresh-hold to the conservatory.

I will be using a flexible adhesive (chemical set for porcelain?) and grout but I am uncertain about the difference between single or two part adhesive & the best amount of gap to leave for grouting, I know you have a poll running but any suggestions for recommended manufactures of either are welcome. I’ll also buy a wet cutter for the tiles.

I was also going to ask about the wet room but I think that I’d better leave that for my second post! I was going to run the same tile into this area but I don’t think this will work due to the size of the tile and the fall of the floor, 10mm’ish?

I hope all that’s not information overload and look forward to reading any comments,

Happy New Year,

Walenut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Depth of sand cement screed bonded to concrete substrate should be a minimum 50mm to meet BS. It could be argued that this depth starts from the top of the underfloor heating pipe and with a sand cement screed I would certainly expect 65mm but I am seeing more and more installations where the rules are bent and the depth shaved. The hairline cracks are probably simple long term drying shrinkage although they may have been exacerbated by early age drying shrinkage due to lack of curing.

My guess is that whilst you are told it is bonded it is not fully bonded as this would invlove mechanically preparing the subslab using a scabbler or enclosed shot blasting. My guess (based on what usually happens) is that the screed has simply been placed in direct contact with the concrete. This is classed within BS as Unbonded (some call it partially bonded but this term is not covered within the standards) This being the case the minimum depth should be 65mm.

Unless it is fully bonded to the concrete slab it cannot be considered as acting compositely with the slab and therefore cannot be considered a part of it.

If underfloor heating is placed within the screed NO floor coverings should be placed unless the heating is comissioned. If there are already hairline cracks in the screed these may widen and lengthen on heating.

An uncoupling membrane would help with this but may not cope entirley depending on the level of expansion. Additionally it will not cope with vertical movemen such as may occur if the screed begins to curl which can also be associated with the action of underfloor heating.

There should be joints within the screed to reflect independently controlled heating zones and through all door thresholds. If these are not placed then, again, an uncoupling membrane may help but is not a guranteed method of overcoming the issue.

Drying is also an issue here as the 50mm screed drying will be impeded by the 150mm concrete slab. The overall drying time will be goverend not by the screed (which is a modified screed and so is reasonably fast drying) but by the concrete.

I have to say that Whilst I have seen this method of construction and whilst it may be mechanically adequate is probably not the best way to have built it where underfloor heating is being used. The heating will need to warm the whole screed and concrete slab turning it into a big storeage heater - not the most efficient way to heat a floor have but there you go....

All that said Truscreed is a good material in terms of durability to abuse because of it's relatively low water cement ratio which improves the strength performance.

I think uncoupling is a must but I would not tile until the heating has been turned on and run.

W

Walenut

Fantastic response many thanks, I have took everyone’s advice and spent the day under the floor plumbing in the UFH, now up and running.

In answer to Ajax, the idea of the UFH on top of the slab is to bring the thermal mass into the building; it needs to be heated differently to screed on insulation methods and to what I understand is the system used more in colder countries as you say like a big storage heater.

The system should work on an extremely low heat, it comes on at the start of the season and stays on until the end of the season & utilizes night set back; this is particularly applicable in my case as there is usually someone in the house all the time as we’re shift workers. I’ll let you know if it works J

I’ll try and get some pictures up & I’ll also check the tiles for flatness.

Again many thanks for your replies.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Fantastic response many thanks, I have took everyone’s advice and spent the day under the floor plumbing in the UFH, now up and running.

In answer to Ajax, the idea of the UFH on top of the slab is to bring the thermal mass into the building; it needs to be heated differently to screed on insulation methods and to what I understand is the system used more in colder countries as you say like a big storage heater.

The system should work on an extremely low heat, it comes on at the start of the season and stays on until the end of the season & utilizes night set back; this is particularly applicable in my case as there is usually someone in the house all the time as we’re shift workers. I’ll let you know if it works J

I’ll try and get some pictures up & I’ll also check the tiles for flatness.

Again many thanks for your replies.

Will you use the floor for coooling in the summer as well.

Never wuite convinced by the Thermal Mass Storeage arguments co I can't work out in my head how you maintain control over the heat release. e.g. if the store is warm and the weather unexpectedly improves or vice versa can you get a fast enough response. I did do some development work a few years ago on thermal stores using anhyrite screed due to its thermal properties. the storeage units were 1 cubic meter laminated in layers with heat transfer pipes in each 50mm layer....never really came up with a market though....

W

Walenut

Will you use the floor for coooling in the summer as well.

Never wuite convinced by the Thermal Mass Storeage arguments co I can't work out in my head how you maintain control over the heat release. e.g. if the store is warm and the weather unexpectedly improves or vice versa can you get a fast enough response. I did do some development work a few years ago on thermal stores using anhyrite screed due to its thermal properties. the storeage units were 1 cubic meter laminated in layers with heat transfer pipes in each 50mm layer....never really came up with a market though....

The system should work well for cooling in the summer especially as I have a south facing garden with conservatory but I would need a decent heat dump somewhere.

I did deliberate over anhydrite screed but over such a small area it was difficult & expensive and I thought tiling would be an issue, may have been the way to go though as I'll need a decoupling membrane anyway.

The response time should not be to much of an issue as the system should work at a lower temperature than screed on insulation, virtually just warming the kitchen floor, wet room has an additional radiator & the conservatory has electric fan heater for rapid heat.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi All, what do you think? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.