Discuss Hi & an early help/advice request please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Hi, Im shortly about to dive in with both feet into my 20sqm travertine bathroom tiling project with the shower area being mosaic. Ive bought 22mm T&G chipboard flooring, a BAL 1 waterproofing kit, Tuff form shower tray, Devi underfloor heating mat and will be getting some Living heat insulation boards for underneath. Basically im nearly good to go. However im puzzled with the choice of sealant/impregnators out there. I know Aqua sealer gold choice 15 is the best but its well pricey and although HG is cheap its not as good as the lithofin stainstop stuff which sounds good value, but then theres the Bal protective sealer and the Fila protector!!?

Unfortunately im on a budget so with that in mind what do you guys (&gals?) think is best?

Thanks in advance, I suspect this will the first of many questions to come. Olly:thumbsup:

T

TheWrightTiler

id replace the 22mmm boards with 18mm and then add 6mm hardiebacker board glued and screwed at 150mm centres as this then makes an ideal tiling surface

chipboard is just compressed glued wood which when you stick with wet tile adhesive can swell causing your tiles to crack thus ripping out the whole floor, its just not done with this, do it cheap do it twice springs to mind mate

M

Mike

Thanks chaps. I see your point and have 18mm board left over from the loft boarding so could do that. I'll look into the hardiebacker boards. Just been reading up on the need for SLC, I was just going to use plenty of the BAL flexible adhesive but using SLC is better as theres better coverage of the UFH mat. Bit complicated all this tiling melarkee!
it's much better to put slc over the ufh before tiling as this will ensure the cables are fully encapsulated to prevent 'hotspots' . this will also help prevent any damage to the cable whilst walking on it or trowelling over.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Thanks for the replys. I have 18mm and 22mm T&G chipboard at my disposal, I now know plywood is best, however, Ive just been on to the BAL advice line. They say 18mm chip then 10mm tile backer board...does that mean I could also do 22mm chip with 6mm backer board?

Marmox and Wedi are similar with Marmox being cheaper, just need to know what mm I can get away with.

SLC seems sensible to use to protect the UFH mat and get the best performance out of it. I'll look into that next.

Any advice on the above options would be welcomed. Ta.

R

Rich

Hello,

Forgive me for saying that this is not a job for a DIYer, no offense meant but tiling with natural stone is a completely different animal to tiling with ceramics, let alone on a timber floor, let alone with under floor heating and let alone onto chipboard. By a long long way, your best bet is to get hold of a good tiler with experience in using natural stone.

Dont mean to be negative but there are sooo many things that could go wrong here and if they do then it will end up cost you a fortune, repairing water damaged homes from poor tiling makes up a lot of my work load.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Rich - youve slightly dented my enthusiasm for this project! I know now how complicated it is but im sure I'll crack it albeit with lots of advice off this forum from people a lot more skilled than me. Ive bought everything so I'll have a go. All that I attempt usually goes OK, it'll take me longer than anyone else.

Im also currently stripping floorboards, insulating and boarding a loft, dropping a chimney stack and planning a 4 metre RSj installation! I like to be busy.:lol:

R

Rich

Ok mate, well in that case you have come to the right place and its a good job that you have come here BEFORE you have started (a common mistake).Ask as many questions as you can an we will do everything we can to help you out.

Also I would recommend sitting down for an hour or so with a pad of paper and a pen. At the top right of this page is your search bar, have a really good read through the info we have on here, there is loads of it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi & an early help/advice request please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

H
hi im sorry if im posting this but i need some advice as every source i read on the internet...
Replies
Views
E
I receive this i-mail for one job: Work Friday-Monday Eduardo, Work for tomorrow...
Replies
Views
G
this weekend im ordering 20+ 600x600 black starlight quartz from tilehq. i need some advice and...
Replies
Views
gnome
G
O
hi, i been out for around a year now with a surgically broken leg and possibly wont get back...
Replies
Views
oldgit
O
Z
Hi all, first post - be gentle ! I had an hour searching through the boards and, while...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hi & an early help/advice request please!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.