Discuss Hi from Potential New Tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Michael H

Hi all, am looking for a complete career change and am seriously looking at training to become a Tiler. Have looked at training in Harlow with STC or in Hainult with the Tiling School, would anyone recommend/not recommend either. Would be great to hear what I can expect as a start up tiler, have read/heard so many different things, from earning 60k a year quite easily to having to work ten 12 hour days in a row would be great to hear about the realities from established tilers. Bit worried that with all the courses available the market for tilers will become saturated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Michael H

A

Andy kinghorn

Hi Michael.

been laying these things for 39 years now,loved it for a long time,enjoyed creating something that looked good and would last for years ( or until the cheque cleared) at this stage my knees are stuffed,(need new hinges) my back plays up and my hands are all dried out with blisters so hard i can peel them with a stanley knife.not good for stroking your girlfreinds legs.

Basically you will have to be good at jig saw puzzles as when the pallet of tiles arrive you have to cut them into the picture the customer wants you to create.
she will want it done in a hurry and will shop for the cheapest price.If you do a good job you might get a cup off tea and a pat in the back.
To earn the 60k a year you would have to employ a couple of guys.
If you still want to go ahead go with a reputable company looking for apprentices.

good luck to you.

M

Max@ableskills

Totally agree with you, but would like to know roughly what to expect, actually have a brochure here quoting 45k
a year, but they are going to say that as they want to sell their courses.

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. As i am sure you are aware 60k a year for a tiler these days is totally unrealistic. To advertise and say that you can earn 45k a year tiling in my opinion is a desperate ploy to get people to book on a course.

I asume that they can back up the earnings potential claim by some kind of case study?

I am a tiler of 22 years experience and if i got offered 60k a year to fix i would jack my job in today and take the 60k lol.

Enjoy your course, learn from the experiences but as for earning potential after you have completed your course i would say lower your expectations a little.

good luck

Reply to Hi from Potential New Tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
A
Hello all I’m looking for any help I can get I really want to start a new career in tiling I...
Replies
Views
A
We now have several videos demonstrating installation, cutting techniques and tips which I am in...
Replies
Views
Tile_novice
T
R
Evening All, I wonder if you can help me.. I'm trying to contact as many tilers as possible in...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi from Potential New Tiler
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.