UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hi im Pink new here need help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

my bathroom is in basement.
the tiles on outside wall were coming away so i took them off.
then there was a bulge in wall so hacked that of.
now at bare bricks.

wall is not soaking wet a little damp.
i investigated outside dug down found a BRICK MISSING tis on other side of this wall! gap goes in about 12" from missing brick.

house is old about 1905 detached
1)how do i seal the bricks
2) what mix can i use on wall ( what i took of was pretty thick at least 1 1/4 "
3) what shall i use on tiles
i have cleaned up tiles so can be replaced
do not know how to add a picture here
to show what im on about..
yes i want to do this myselfas previous COWBOY BODGED IT 3 MONTHS AGO ALL CAME OF AGAIN WORSE he will not come back.
he did not use anything waterproof!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hey and welcome to the forums. I'll let the professionals reply to this one as I've never tiled in a basement and wouldn't know what to do sealing-wise.

You could try and overboard with a waterproof boarding and then tile that, that'd certainly keep the tiles on. As said above though, I'll leave it to the pro's.

Welcome aboard and thanks for signing up.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

sounds like you need to replace the brick i would use an enginering brick, have you then got sand/cement render on the wall? if you have use a 3-1 sand and cement mix plus integrol waterproofer ie liqid to add to mix then fix brick with this mix when that has set ie next day do another mix the same and use this to render flush to old render then when this has all dry out then get a tanking agent use to the manafactures rec over all the render thats under the ground when this is done backfill then start inside but if this all sounds to mutch get a good builder or damp proofing company :thumbsup:

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

sorry pinky :welcome: to this forum, please let us know how you get on,or need more advise
happy-096.gif

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Whilst Gooners advice seems sound this is not really the sort of job a DIYer should be tackling. It sounds like one for a professional. A decent builder with experience of renovation in old houses or a suitable damp proofing company. If you do decide to tackle it I wish you the best of luck with it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hi im Pink new here need help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm Looking For This Tile Help!!!! Only 5 needed!
Hi… I’m desperately looking for a few of these (I believe discontinued B&Q) tiles. I only need...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.