Discuss Hi to all, in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

smartv11

Wow, such a quick reply! and thanks
I was very careful to say a builder layed the tiles and not a tiler. He has done a good job of our kitchen up to this. we had the kitchen / dining wall removed to form kitchen diner of 30m2 and chose a 3 tile pattern (45X45, 30x30, 15X15),the floor was leveled, on one side.
Yes I agree no lips, what should we do.??? the builder 'left' the this morning as he said its acceptable and we said not. is their a tiling abitrator, 3rd party we can use to resolve
- I'm in Kent

D

Deleted member 9966

If Del is correct with his British Standards for lippage tolerances (I am not a pro tiler so cannot comment and would seek pro tilers confirmation on this) then you need to let us know how wide the grout joints on the floor are. The minimum grout width for a floor is 3mm.

If you're unhappy with the work, you need to try and resolve this with your builder by giving him the chance to address your concerns and rectify the situation. If your builder won't return to address your concerns, you need to put your concerns in writing to him. There is an independent body, TTA, who can independently assess the work that has been done by way of an inspection and report, but you're looking at a cost of around £700 for this. Alternatively, you could source a tiler who is unconnected with the job to come and assess your concerns and provide a report directly without having to involve the TTA and this could be done for a fee you agree directly with the tiler.

If you are unhappy with the work done and would like a second opinion as to whether your concerns should be taken seriously, this forum has a number of professional tilers based in Kent who may be able to give the job a look over with you.

S

smartv11

Tile lip - understanding British Standards

I've found this BS - is it the right one? as it suggest that a 3mm lip is acceptable between adjacent tiles is ok, as long as it slids beneath a 2m straight edge on 3mm feet therefore tiles layed like this ________-----------------------____________--------------------, could be ok???

British Standard 5385 states that

The surface should be true such that, when checked with a 2 m straightedge with 3 mm thick feet at each end, the straightedge should not be obstructed by the tiles and no gap should be greater than 6 mm. I.e. a tolerance of + 3 mm.

Thanks Smartv11

S

smartv11

If Del is correct with his British Standards for lippage tolerances (I am not a pro tiler so cannot comment and would seek pro tilers confirmation on this) then you need to let us know how wide the grout joints on the floor are. The minimum grout width for a floor is 3mm.

If you're unhappy with the work, you need to try and resolve this with your builder by giving him the chance to address your concerns and rectify the situation. If your builder won't return to address your concerns, you need to put your concerns in writing to him. There is an independent body, TTA, who can independently assess the work that has been done by way of an inspection and report, but you're looking at a cost of around £700 for this. Alternatively, you could source a tiler who is unconnected with the job to come and assess your concerns and provide a report directly without having to involve the TTA and this could be done for a fee you agree directly with the tiler.

If you are unhappy with the work done and would like a second opinion as to whether your concerns should be taken seriously, this forum has a number of professional tilers based in Kent who may be able to give the job a look over with you.

Girlracer, could you please send the BS clause in full, as I've found BS5385, which offers different advice

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi

I don't have the British Standards for tiling as I'm not a professional, as I've stated before. If you can wait a while longer, various members of this forum will start contributing with their thoughts on the subject.

Photographs of the lippage will certainly help, so if you can take some photo's and upload them to the thread, the members will be able to comment on what you can see now the job is finished.

Thanks

S

smartv11

Thanks Girl racer, I re-read you post and realised my mistake.

I hope you appreciate my angst, as this is proving very upsetting for my wife and I, just hoping to get some solid advice

I found through the forum this:

BS5385 part 1 section 4.1.8.2

"There should be no appreciable differential in level across joints and the maximum deviation between surfaces across joints, including movement joints, should be as follows

1. Joints less than 6mm wide - 1mm deviation
2. Joints 6mm and over - 2mm deviation

This is mirrored in Part 3 of the standard - section 7.1.4"

Which is excellent for my concerns. If anyone can confirm this BS is still correct!!

Smartv11

D

DHTiling

Your post above is correct.. Are the tile a square cut edge, this could be why you see the lippage more..

As mentioned above if you are nit happy then IMO for a report that will stand up in court if you wish to pursue or the builder wished to pursue you for payment then the TTA is the way to go...

If he has worked within BS5385 then he has a right be be paid in full... we cannot offer legal advice either as we are not qualified to do that, so again use the TTA ( The Tile Association) to resolve this. [email protected]

Reply to Hi to all, in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hi to all,
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.