Discuss History lessson needed from skilled Shower Installers !!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cottage lady

Hello Everybody

I need advice please from Tilers (Bathroom / Shower Installers) who were working in the years around 2007 / 2008
I am told some Installers used plywood in those days as the backer board for shower cubicles prior to tiling them out.
I have also learned that Hardie board and Wedi board were also available then and would have been better options I guess.

My precise question is this..... If plywood was used, what tanking type options were available in those days to seal the plywood against water ingress from the shower water if it got through the tiles grouting. I am advised that grouting is not "water proof " unless it is epoxy grout ... but is "water resistant".

If water did get into the plywood it would soak in and warp the wood causing further problems ... so it would surely have needed tanking / water proofing of some sort ?

Any advice about protective water proofing products for the plywood available on the open market at that time ie 2007 / 2008 and successfully used would be such a help for me to know.

It might be that experienced tilers will tell me only silly people used plywood then as it had been replaced by better products eg Wedi that skilled people used

I would be enormously grateful for a history lesson !!!

Thank you

C

Cottage lady

Some builders still use ply....tanking systems have been around for a large number of years including prior 2000 but it seems some won't listen to advise regarding the systems that are available.

Thank you for such a swift response Whitebeam.

I gather from your reply that there were good tanking systems available along time ago but then as now not everyone used them. I imagine you are talking Wedi types then ?

Can you tell me what they should have used to protect the plywood from water ingress back in those days 2007 / 2008 if they insisted on using ply ?

I am glad of your experienced help

P

Perry

Thank you for such a swift response Whitebeam.

I gather from your reply that there were good tanking systems available along time ago but then as now not everyone used them. I imagine you are talking Wedi types then ?

Can you tell me what they should have used to protect the plywood from water ingress back in those days 2007 / 2008 if they insisted on using ply ?

I am glad of your experienced help
That depends if they were asked to tank it. Or tile it. A lot of builders still do not tank showers now days. And a lot of trades men do not still have enough knowledge so it's hard for customers to know. Like hardi is not waterproof and still needs to be tanked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I take it from your posing, that you ate after some recompense from your shower installer back in 2007. Plywood was, and still is fitted on wall by some installers. Tanking systems have been around for quite some time, but that doesn't mean everyone knew about them, or used them.
With the Internet, people are getting more informed about good practices.

I take it that you have problems with tiles falling off and the plywood going mouldy, or splitting the layers due to water ingress.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Hello Chalker and thank you for your interest

Yes we have an interesting issue here and of course no relevant knowledge. You mention "Tanking systems have been around for quite some time" ... do you mean in 2007/2008 ?
To be honest, a tanking kit will only stop the water from causing damage to the substrate behind the tiles.it shouldn't be leaking in the first place.
I have removed many bathrooms fitted out with ply or plasterboard that have not leaked or caused any damage.
PA builder I do plumbing for will only fit ply to showers. Even though I tell him there are better products out there. But he won't listen, as up to now he has not had any problems because the tiler he uses ( not me) does a good job, so it does not leak!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Chalker ... you are hitting another nail on the head tonight ... the tiling was not good and water seeped in to the ply that had only been treated with PVA or SBR

What is you reaction to that then ?
my reaction would be. It's lasted 7 years so its out of guarantee. This can't have suddenly happened. Did you notice any signs in the past 7 years? Did you give the installer chance to rectify when first noticed.
also this hasn't happened in the last few days so you, unfortunately should take a part of the blame. Was there any grout missing, any silicone that needed replacing.or is this a new house that has had some natural settlement.
could you post some pics? or say exactly what has happened so a constructive reply can be sought . Otherwise we are just guessing.

Reply to History lessson needed from skilled Shower Installers !!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice! I'm re-tiling my shower after needing to rip...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB