UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss how do i baton on tanked walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

I think good way of tiling is to start walls from the second row then do the floor then fit bottom cut (or full tile), if the walls not parallel and they are usually not parallel it better to do floor cut becouse bottom cut hide it. In my opinion just faster and better finish between walls and floor. Then as Dave said where baton fixings were just do tanking touchs

Or do your floor first problem solved

J

jay

Yes but it easy to destroy it. If it is soft stone the risk is bigger. I know I can cover it but I just dont like to work on something new. Bath a fit after tiling alweys as you can see in my albums becouse i do not really image working inside the new bath. All depends on personal style.:)

okay leave it for now but when you have to waterproof the floor you may change your style ..just a thought

S

Stef

Yes but it easy to destroy it. If it is soft stone the risk is bigger. I know I can cover it but I just dont like to work on something new. Bath a fit after tiling alweys as you can see in my albums becouse i do not really image working inside the new bath. All depends on personal style.:)

Polish, if you fit the bath after you tile i take it the walls must be bang on square?

I have never tiled then had a bath fitted, i personally dont think you will get a decent silicone seal between bath & tiles, its the same as dropping your bottom row of wall tiles down onto the floor tiles, nicer neater finish.

P

Polishtradesman

oh no! You are not right. My seal between bath and tiles is proper done and it is really neat. Picture 5 of 16 from Woodford , Polishtradesman's Album: Way, I do a bath. , Picture 5 of 6 from Violet bathroom . Yes walls are squere where bath goes, becouse i prepare walls for my tiling and i prepare it squere. Difference between your way and my is that bath egdes in my bathrooms are equel your are not and i do not work in someone new bath. Tiles starts slighty below bath egde so i actually stick bath egde to glaze and then nice neat finish with that rubber thing for apllicant silicones (do not know how exacly it is called in english).

F

Fliselege

Polish, if you fit the bath after you tile i take it the walls must be bang on square?

Standard practice here to tile all walls and floors before bath or anything else goes in, madness, but I'm used to it now. As for walls being bang on square, erm let's just say silicone hides a multitude of sins, but more often than not we build a shelf from wedi between bath and wall and tile it so as long as we're good with the cuts it doesn't matter if the walls are out.

S

Stef

Polish, im not getting into an argument about square walls or not, but even if the walls are perfect then i would never tile then fit the bath.

Think about how you batten a wall then drop the tile down on to the floor, its the same principal with the walls & the bath.
The bath will be bevelled edge whereas if you drop the tile onto the bath then its just a nice small bead of silicone between the bath & tile face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to how do i baton on tanked walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.