UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss how do i baton on tanked walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Tbh we've always been taught to fit bath first mainly due to walls being out of sync. Sometimes you even find yourself putting part of the bath into the wall!

Probably a uk thing and were not disputing how it's done elsewhere or how reliable either method is.

Thats what I was meaning when I said if the wall runs out. Once its tiled you cant chop into the tile, so therefore it stands to reason to fit bath first and tile around afterwards. You can lose 10mm with the tile and adhesive if the wall isn't square, and not that many are.

P

Polishtradesman

And that is he point, it is here like that becosue walls are really difficouldt to make them right angle and if someone does not want to pay for it, tilers are not going to do it for free. Maybe bath manufacturers should start make bath with diffrent angles hehe :) Anyway reality is brutal and i can understeand your point of view if walls are not really 90 degrees. However I do not understeand this way when walls got squere angle.

F

Fliselege

Tile wall
Fit bath
Book return appointment in 6 months to remove all water damaged areas due to seal failing.
Well in my 7 years here and my bosses 16 years here, never been bitten on the bum with that. But then again, when we build a wet room, it is just that, a wet room, entire floor mechanical membraned which also goes 15 cm up the wall with 4cm of screed on top of that with heating cables in the middle of it, all walls covered in wedi or similar, all joints membrane stripped, from what I gather an English wetroom is what we'd call a few wet spot areas in a room if just the wet areas are membraned, so even if our silicone along the bath did fail, it pretty much wouldn't matter a jot. Don't get me wrong, it's over the top here, but I just play by the rules and it puts food on my table so I just get on with it, I still don't see a problem with fitting a bath and overlapping the rim with tiles, but it's just not done like that here, madness.
My baton holes get membraned or siliconed.

M

Mike Mike

I use Rubi baton stands and various length cheap aluminium spirit levels instead of wooden batons. Doesn't matter if the bubbles work accurately or not (as you check them with your good levels) as long as they're straight. Leave them up about half an hour or so then take them off and clean the adhesive off.

You can also stick a bit of masking tape on them and use them as a measuring guage to decide on setting out, and if you leave the masking tape on them when you use them as batons it makes it easier to clean them, just take the masking tape off et voila, they're clean.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to how do i baton on tanked walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.